cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

IPAM and Windows DHCP Server 2016

Hi guys, ding

Could you please confirm whether IPAM supports monitoring DHCP on Windows Server 2016?

If so, what are the requirements?

TIA,

Deltona

11 Replies
Level 9

I have a 2016 server in a sandbox environment that I am running it on with no issues.

Level 12

It's not officially supported at this time, but I can say we are running it in our lab with no issues. If you take a look at the roadmap,  you'll see we're working on making it official.

Hi ding,

Thanks for the swift reply. I've looked at the roadmap page and deduced that support for Windows Server 2016 referred to the platform OS that Orion IPAM can be installed on.

I've tried to monitor DHCP on a Windows Server 2016 but get access denied error. The domain account used has the same required privileges as those mentioned in the current admin guide.

Could you perhaps confirm with the lab whether any additional privileges are required, and if so, which one(s)?

Thanks.

Hey Vic! In our lab, a local user was created (with no additional privileges). I double-checked with the team and they said in order to successfully connect to the DHCP server, you should create a separate local user with the same creds as the user on the DHCP server. Hope this helps!

Got it, thanks!

Let me know if you run into any issues.

0 Kudos

Hi, we are considering buying IPAM but I'm running into this same issue with Windows Server 2016. I tried creating a separate local account to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos

Is there any reason why you are using an account in IPAM that is local on the DHCP server rather than using a domain account with the correct privileges?

You might have to create the same local account that you created on the DHCP server, on the IPAM server in order for impersonation to work.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. The server is a stand alone (WORKGROUP) so the only option I can see is to use a local account. It just doesn't work. I continue to get

"Test Failed

The user name or password is incorrect"

0 Kudos

Also to add one more thing, monitoring the server itself in SAM works fine. I just select "Inherit credentials for node" and the application monitors work fine. We own NPM and SAM but not IPAM so I'm using a eval license. I hope to get this to work.

0 Kudos

Make sure that the user you created on the DHCP server is a member of the DHCP Administrators group and has the Log on locally permission (Security Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignment).

Then make sure that this account is added in IPAM. Don't use the inherit credentials from node option.