This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM Not Scanning

FormerMember
FormerMember

I just installed the eval version of IPAM and the subnets are not scanning.  When I look at the demo front page it shows that there is an event where the subnet scan failed with an error.  So how can I find what the error is nad what woudl be some good next steps to try and get the demo underway.

We have installed this on our Orion SLX V9.5  With  SQL 2005 enterprise.

• Hello KGaudineer,

The next step I perform when tracking something similar is to open the following log file, skip to the end, and search "up" for "exception".

"c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\solarwinds\informationservice\ipam-informationservice.log"

Given your specific wording of the event that shows up (IPAM Requires SolarWinds Job Engine & SolarWinds Job Scheduler to do its scanning), give this a try:

1. Stop "solarwinds ipam information service", "solarwinds job scheduler", "solarwinds job engine" from the control panel
    2. Start "solarwinds job engine", "solarwinds job scheduler", "solarwinds ipam information service" in that order

Let me know if this works for you. If not we'll work out the next steps.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Peter.Cooper

Peter

Thanks for the post.  I tried shutting down the services you specified in the order you recommended.  I then tried to scan one of the subnets I manually added to IPAM but it still failed.  I then checked the log file you recommended and this is what was showing in the log file with "exception"

2009-09-13 09:48:30,265 [9] INFO  SolarWinds.IPAM.Scan.ScanJobEventsService - Job 1fdbaf8c-87c3-46d0-8acb-99fb180427d8 finished with state 'Failed' [System.ArgumentException: plug-in Solarwinds.IPAM.Jobs not found
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.PluginStore.FindPlugin(String name)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AppDomainManager.CreateAppDomain(String assemblyName)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AppDomainManager.FindAppDomain(String key)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AppDomainJobFactory.CreateJob(JobDescription jobDescription)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AgentDispatcher.ExecuteJob(ActiveJob activeJob)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AgentDispatcher.WorkItemDispatched(Object state)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.PluginStore.FindPlugin(String name)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AppDomainManager.CreateAppDomain(String assemblyName)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AppDomainManager.FindAppDomain(String key)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AppDomainJobFactory.CreateJob(JobDescription jobDescription)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AgentDispatcher.ExecuteJob(ActiveJob activeJob)
       at SolarWinds.JobEngine.WorkerProcess.AgentDispatcher.WorkItemDispatched(Object state)
    ]

To shut down the services I needed to use the "Services" module in the Windows Admin tools.  When I launched the Orion services tool the IPAM information service was not listed.  That is why I used the "Windows->Admin Tools->Services" module.   Also this time when I checked the Orion Services Manager tooll there was an addition Information Services module listed.  There was an SolarWinds Orion Information Service (V1) and a SolarWinds Information Service.  Should I have both of these services or just one?  The SolarWinds Orion Information Service(V1) is displayed with the icon having an orange background while the other information service icons are displayed with a grey background. 

My install of the IPAM was before I installed Orion SLX V9.5.  I initially tried to use the IPAM with Orion V9.1 SP5 but found that I needed to do a database upgrade before it would work.  I upgraded the database to 2005, reinstalled the IPAM, and then upgraded my Orion SLX to V9.5.  Should I try to uninstall the IPAM and try reinstalling again?

• Nice work on the investigation.

Should I try to uninstall the IPAM and try reinstalling again?

Try running configuration wizard, selecting all three checkboxes, and let it run through. If that doesn't resolve things, go ahead with your uninstall & reinstall of IPAM.

• FormerMember

Thanks for the post.....

I have IPAM installed and subnets are now scanning...  What I ended up doing was removing the IPAM install and reinstalling.  Now I am left with another question.

I have imported some 200 subnets from my tool set IP address manager.  But I am only seeing the first 99 IP addresses out of a range of 254.  Is this a limitation of the demo version?  The properties of the subnets show the proper CIDR mask for a class 'C' network.  I just don't understand why I can't see the whole range.

My goal with the demo is to get all of our supports groups in the habbit of using SolarWinds web site for their support questions.  My plan is to get the IP addresses color coded by the use specified in our IP addressing standards.  Each class 'C' network is divided up for specific uses.  for example.....  if the last octet of the address 1 - 120 that is a DHCP address, 121 -139 Reserved, 140 - 189 other Statici IP address for one off equipment, 190 -239 Reserved for all static addressed printers and 240 - 254 Reserved for Network Admin use.   If all I can show is the first 99 addresses the demo will exclude 2/3 of our support groups who give us the most questions.  Those groups will be the desk top support groups and the printer support groups.  I will barely be able to show the network Admins how the address usage is because the full DHCP range is not visible.

The subnets have only been imported for about the last 3 hours so do I just need to wait 1 day and see if the entire range is scanned on schedule?  I am curious because it has taken 2 weeks to get the proper authorization to upgrade the databcase ect.  Whick means I have just under 2 weeks to demo a fully functional version for all support groups.

• But I am only seeing the first 99 IP addresses out of a range of 254. 

There's paging in play. The paging toolbar is at the bottom of the grid. The default page size is currently 100. It can be changed, but for the interim it's a support driven thing. I suggest opening a ticket, and if needed, bring me into the case (it's a fast thing to do).

The subnets have only been imported for about the last 3 hours so do I just need to wait 1 day and see if the entire range is scanned on schedule? 

You can select a subnet and then click 'Scan'. That will cause it to get scheduled right away (ahead of any background scanning tasks). We'll do two simultaneous network scans. 

My plan is to get the IP addresses color coded by the use specified in our IP addressing standards. 

Color coding is a feature that's on our list. I'd like to get you hooked up with Brandon to capture your expectations.

• ...Try running configuration wizard, selecting all three checkboxes, and let it run through. If that doesn't resolve things, go ahead with your uninstall & reinstall of IPAM...

I'm having similar probs, and currently I'm busy re-installing IPAM. It's quite bad that there's not other proper way of getting IPAM to scan as it's been told, but by de- and re-installing the application. On a production system this is just a bad approach...!

Thomas

• Hello Thomas,

Please open a ticket with our support staff. Please tell your support rep that I'd like to have a review of the diagnostics output.

There are proper ways to force the engine to scan. Sometimes a core Orion component we use to drive scanning can be affected by other modules or unexpected environment issues. This isn't the normal state of affairs, and is quite appropriate to bring in our support staff.

My first set of advice is to re-run config wizard, my next set of advice is to open a ticket. "reinstall" is not normally in my vocabulary... but KGaudineer had it in his list of steps to try.

• FormerMember

Peter.....

Thanks for the assistance.  The page view in the subnet scan is a litte embarrassing I didn't have my window sized right so I did not see the arrows at the bottom.  Anyway the subnet scans are progressing and I am solicatating all of my support groups to jump in and take a look and provide their feedback.

So far from my observation having the subnet listed in one screen so the user can scroll up/down the subnet list is at the top of the list, color coding my displays is second.  I would be happy to work with your developers so they could capture what my expectations would be with that feature.