This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM Export and Import (migration to new server)

I am interested in rebuilding our entire SolarWinds Orion suite on a new set of servers. Our environment has changed radically, so we are going to start over with devices, configuration, etc.  The only data I want to carry over to the new platform is the IPAM database.

What would be the best suggestion for doing this?  Is there an easy way to export all the IPAM data from the old system and bring it in to the new system?

• I am in exactly the same scenario right now.  The export to csv/xls function is next to useless (is missing VLANs, custom attributes etc) and also doesnt include the hierarchy + supernets + folders.

If you worked it out please say how and if not I will post back if I work it out?

• I successfully moved the IPAM data from our old installation to a freshly installed server.  I must credit the SolarWinds technical support team for assisting me with this, as they consulted with a developer to get the information needed.

Here are the steps (somewhat edited by me):

1. Make sure the OLD and NEW server have the same IPAM version installed

2. Make a backup of your NEW server database, in case you need to revert and try again (saves you the trouble of reinstalling Orion platform all over again)

3. Use the SQL Server Import task (on the NEW database) to migrate over the data.  Select all the tables that start with "IPAM_* " (Except IPAM_Engine!  Do not import this table)

4. Before importing, select each IPAM table and click on EditMappings on the wizard, then select "Delete rows in destination table" option and select the checkbox "Enable Identity insert" option.  Make sure to use these settings for each IPAM table (except the IPAM_Engine table)

5. Proceed next and select "Run Immediately" and click on "Finish" button, once imported all the data, user can see "Successful" message.

If there is difficulty in viewing the data on IPAM web, Restart the orion service, if still has problem run configwizard for "website" alone, then user can view details.

Once after finished above steps, user needs to remove DHCP and DNS server from IPAM and Add freshly to IPAM.

-----

I hope this helps you.

Adam

• For the most part it worked for me also except I had a lot of custom fields, only part of them came over when we initially install IPAM we had some custom fields, they came over last year we added more for E911 information to be keep for the subnets,  those custom properties did not.   I was wondering what version of SQL where you running and what version of IPAM. I am going to do the test again to see if I just missed something.

• Nice one thanks for posting this, sadly I've only just seen the message though and have some data already in the new DB!!