This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

IPAM 3.1 - Scans not running

I discovered today that IPAM is not conducting any of its scans (Subnet, DNS Zones, etc.). When I took a look at the "IPAM Settings > Scan Job Status", all of the jobs reflected the following: Status "Next Scan: ASAP", Last Discovery "12/11/2012".

I verified in the Running Service Manager that all services are running.

I verified in License Manager that the Orion IP Address Manager was licensed.

I verified that the server running IPAM could communicate (ICMP) with the network.

I verified that there were no reported IPAM erros in the SolarWinds.Net Event Log under the Windows Applications and Services Logs. Are there any other IPAM specific logs I should check?

I deleted all DHCP & DNS Servers to isolate it to only the Subnet scanning.

The Server Polling Engine is active with a completion of 100%. At the bottom, I noticed IPAM.Dns.Polling and IPAM.Dhcp.Polling are both set to 0 (probably because I deleted the servers above.)

SNMP is working and tested satisfactory with other modules of Solarwinds.

Any suggestions or thoughts on how to progress with the trouble-shooting/resolution would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance!

Edit: I also scanned THWACK and found 2 other lack of scanning entries but neither seemed related to this situation.

• It looks like you did all those basic checks, so I would definitely recommend opening a support ticket for this.

• Matthew L. from the Support Team helped resolve this issue. I'm sharing the "fix" so that everyone else can have it - if needed:

Usually when the scans are stuck like that, it has to do with the job engine either being stalled w/ the IPAM jobs or the jobs themselves are stuck. What I recommend doing is replacing the job engine itself to flush the IPAM jobs out and allow them to restart.

Before doing so as well I recommend taking a look at the subnets you have and seeing if an excessively large subnet was added either manually or from a scope as the scanning of such has the potential to cause this.

Replace Job Engine

1. Stop all Orion services from Orion Service Manager.

2. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\JobEngine\Data\JobEngine35.sdf file and rename it to JobEngine35_OLD.sdf

3. Then create a copy of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolarWinds\JobEngine\Data\JobEngine35 - Blank.sdf one and rename it to JobEngine35.sdf.

4. This way you have the old one to revert back to and you always have a blank copy in case issue reoccurs.

5. Right click on properties of the JobEngine35.sdf you have created and untick the read only box and click ok.

6. Restart all Orion Services

• Had the same issue today - the above 'fix' also works for IPAM 4.0

• Hello folks

The solution works for me too (IPAM 4.0) but - is there some way how to detect this situation (and alert me, of course)? Sometimes it stuck for a few days and I'd like to be informed sooner than my users.

Thanks

• I haven't found a way, to do this (yet) myself.