This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Exporting Demo version to Production

We are currently running a Demo of IPAM on a Demo version of NPM.  I don't want to go through the process of import/adding subnets on our production version of NPM again.  Is there anyway to export the address list out of the demo version and re-import into the production version should we decide to purchase?

• Hello kbrookov.

As a developer at SolarWinds, I have migrated IPAM data from one database to another using SQL Management Studio. When taking proper precautions, I think this is the most effective and accurate solution.

All IPAM database tables in Orion start with "IPAM_". These are the steps I recall taking. If you're not comfortable with these tools, we could explore alternate solutions in this post.

1. Ensure both installs have EXACTLY the same IPAM version
    2. Stop All SolarWinds services
    3. Destination: Use SQL Management Studio to backup the Orion Database
    4. Destination: Rename all “IPAM_” tables to “IPAM_OLD_”
    5. Source: Use SQL Management Studio to migrate "IPAM_" tables from one database server to another.
    6. Source: Start All SolarWinds Services
  • I'm not personally comfortable with it, but I'll run it past our DB guys.  Couple more questions for clarification:

1.  The release version of IPAM is not out as of yet correct?  Do you guys have a date for it?

2.  The DB changes you are recomending will only affect IPAM tables on the production version of NPM and nothing else?

Thanks for your help!

• Regarding #1, yes it is out, released yesterday

• Regarding #2:

As long as we migrate only tables that start with "IPAM_" ... this action will not interfere at with NPM or anything else. Just be sure to move all "IPAM_" tables together.

When the migration is done, disable "SolarWinds IPAM Information Service" on the original demo box (or uninstall) to ensure subnets aren't being scanned by two installs needlessly.

• Would this work for you?  http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/OrionIPAMAGExportingIPAddressesSettings.htm

1. Click IP Address Manager in the Modules menu bar.
    2. Click Manage Subnets & IP Addresses.
    3. If you want to export an entire group,click the parent group of the group you want to export in the network organization pane on the left, and then check the group in the Network View on the right.
    4. If you want to export an entire supernet,click a parent group or supernet of the supernet you want to export in the network organization pane on the left, and then check the supernets in the Network View on the right.
    Note: Before Orion IPAM can export any supernet, the supernet must be populated with at least one defined subnet.
    5. If you want to export an entire subnet,click a parent group or supernet of the subnet you want to export in the network organization pane on the left, and then check the subnets in the Network View on the right.
    Note: Orion IPAM can only export subnets that have been properly defined and populated with IP addresses.
    6. If you want to export IP addresses,click the parent subnet of the IP address you want to export in the network organization pane on the left, and then check the IP addresses to export in the Network View on the right.
    7. Click Export in the toolbar.
    8. Check the columns you want to export.
    Note:The IPv4 Address column is selected automatically, and it becomes the first column in the generated spreadsheet. Each additional setting or property you check becomes an additional column in the generated spreadsheet.
    9. Click Export.
    10. When you are prompted to open or save the file, click Save.
    11. Provide an appropriate file name and location for the generated spreadsheet, and then click Save.

• ^^^ I defined my Class B's by group, when you export a group it creates a seperate file for each subnet defined in the group.  You would then have to reimport each subnet into the production server (still very annoying).

Anyone know if a Supernet has the same behavior? 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to kbrookov

kbrookov, did you ever get your migration to work?  Did you try exporting/importing using supernets?

We need to migrate IPAM from our Dev server to our production server.  Has anyone migrated successfully IPAM from one NPM database to another NPM database?  Has anyone used Peter's method?