This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can you label reserved addresses and do they stay reserved if no longer used?

My first question is around reserving addresses and whether you can label them.

Previously we have had a database and when we set-up and address space in that database we allocation some address space for network (routers/switches), some for static IPs (servers/printers) and some for DHCP.

Currently I can reserve a number of addresses by making them reserved and putting something into a field to say that they are reserved for a purpose. Is there any way of having different types of "reserved" types?

Second question is whether once and an addressed that is reserved and becomes used, will it return to a reserved state if is no longer used?

• You can add a custom field to track this. For example, create a field called "Purpose". Go to Settings -> IPAM Settings -> Manage IPAM Custom Fields.

When an address is manually set to Reserved, then starts responding, IPAM will change the status from Reserved to Used. When the device stops responding, the status will change from Used to Transient. When the transient period expires, it will change from Transient to Available.

• Thank you for the reply.

Another field called purpose may be useful to flag that it is to be kept permanently reserved but it is unfortunate that once designated reserved it cannot stay so once used.

My requirement is to be able to define addresses or address ranges within any given subnet as being "reserved" for use by a particular group. I know this sounds a bit crazy but being able to limit the address pool from which certain personnel can assign addresses would be brilliant!

• User Delegation is something we are very interested in and are currently looking in to. You can see the "What we are working on" post here.

• So there is no way to set a ip to static/reserved and keep it that way?  we used the Solarwinds tool set IP manager this way to keep track of our static IP's we keep the first 100 addresses of each /24 reserved for static ip addresses. we need subnets to be scanned and updated but static ip's to stay static as some devices may be a firewall or other device that are not allowed to respond to ICMP.

• Looks like exactly what I'm trying to do also.  So far I haven't found an answer.

• the current way how to do that is to create a new custom property which you can put next to the IP Address status and group IPs by that. However there is still one IP address reservation status for IP address (icon).

• Thanks Michal. I found this searching the threads but I can’t seem to find that option. I’m using the Engineers Edition V10.10 not Orion. If this is an option in the Engineers edition can you give a clue how I get to creating the custom properties. I think I’m under the newbie section.

Thanks

Larry

• Hi Larry,

I've tried to simulate that on my end. Try to follow the screenshots and let me know if that works on your end:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_0.png

Final results on IP Address page:

pastedImage_6.png

• Michal, That clears it up some after I downloaded the trial version of IPAM.  I was beating myself silly trying to do this in Solarwinds Engineers Edition.  Once I download the trial version of IPAM I immediately found the settings you were referring to.  So back to my original question, is there anything even close in our current software or do we need to purchase the IPAM as a standalone?  We already have Orion running at the Regional Level but I’m managing something on a smaller scale.  I don’t have admin access to Regional Orion so I’m playing with the trial version.  I just noticed I don’t have the SAVE option as in your screen shots.  Mine is grayed out.  Is that normal? Thanks Larry

• Hi Larry,

sorry I was not clear about your question. Unfortunately IPAM in your Engineer's Toolset doesn't support "custom properties" that would do the trick with "reserved"/static IPs for particular reason you want to do (only our web based IPAM can do that). I'm not sure if only this worth migration to our "big" IPAM (depends on how many subnets & IPs need to be managed like this.)

Regarding your "grayed out save button" question, if you logged as an admin, made some change on that Edit page and do-not editing first or last (subnet/broadcast) address it should be enabled. You may share a screenshot with me if the issue persist.

Michal