This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Can we move only the IPAM to a separate database ?

Hi,

We have IPAM running as a module within the NPM.

IPAM is failing with SQL errors. Is it possible to re-configure the IPAM to access a different brand new database ?

Currently, the IPAM info tables are within the NPM database.

Best Regards,

A

• You'd have to break out IPAM I believe onto it's own server.  There wouldn't be a way to configure it to another SQL server while still installed on the NPM server. 

• Hi,

Can't I uninstall it and install it on the same server and point it to a new database. I don't mind redoing the whole IPAM setup again.

Regards,

Athreya

• Also, if I install it on a different server, can I make it the link available from the NPM admin page ?

Thanks and Regards,

• No on both.  If you uinstall and reinstall it on the same server, it's going to simply add as a module.  If you try on a separate server, it will be it's own app separate from the SolarWinds website.  There's no way to integrate it without having it installed as a module using the same database.

• The IPAM 4.2  is failing to after 67%, with the error,

Command Failed
    An unexpected error has occurred when processing DHCP scopes results for server '1703'

Solarwinds support is pointing it Storage latency. the Database is on SSD and so far no issues we have seen

So, I thought it will be possible to move to another Database.

Any other ideas I can have ?

Regards,

• Also, it is after an upgrade, I am clueless what to do with it.

Regards,

A

• So why are they pointing to Storage latency?  Did they give you a reason, or just that it has to be storage latency?  How many scopes are on that server?  What other modules do you have installed other than IPAM?

• there is nothing really pointing to the latency.

from the IPM business layer log, this was seen,

2014-10-21 05:22:35,390 [5] ERROR SolarWinds.IPAM.ScanningEngine.JobProcessor.JobProcessorBase`1 (null) - An unexpected error has occurred when processing scan results for subnetid '3409'

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException (0x80131904): Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

The statement has been terminated.

There only NPM 11.0.1  ,NCM 7.3.2  and IPAM 4.2.

Regards,

A

• However the IPAM was working and some intermittent issues used to get reported, that used to vanish. A month ago it stopped working completely and then it was upgraded to fix. Since then it stopped working altogether.

Regards,

A

• OK that would point to a connection timeout.  I'm assuming the database and application servers are in the same location.  An old schole trick that used to work on the SolarWinds server was finding the SWNetPerfMon.db file, opening it in notepad and changing the software's connection and command timeouts from 20 and 90 to 600.  From there, stop the services, save the change, and restart the services.  This will at least make sure the application is on the same timeout as SQL is.  This might help.  How many scopes are on that server?  Are your subnet scans working ok?