This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Ability to change a subnet into a supernet

Change/edit an existing subnet and convert it into a supernet.  Ex. If I have already an existing /24 subnet and I wanted to break it down into smaller /27 subnets. I will not be able to unless I delete the subnet, recreate it into a /24 supernet and hen I can create smaller /27 subnet.  This is too much work, edit field would do the trick if possible.

• Hi,

sorry this is not possible right now - you can't directly change supernet to subnet via supernet edit option. Is this a "singleshot" issue or are you doing that on regular basis? I'm trying to understand what are you trying to do because you can obviously add subnets as a part of this super net so there should not be a reason to do what you need until you don't want to have multiple supernet hierarchy.

• Michal,

Yes we are acquiring new office all the time so there are times where we have a /24 subnet created but not used and we would like to break it up into /27s but not able to since it's a subnet.  now being able to convert that unused /24 into a supernet, then we would be able to break it down into smaller subnets.

• Hi Michal,

This is a feature that we would use on a very regular basis. We have the need to create at times, many hundreds of supernets at a time. Presently, we have around 1000 supernets in IPAM.

If you have many sites that are allocated IP Ranges based on geographical area, it ends up being nessecary to create many supernets (with a big network). IP Addressing is quite different as a service provider than it is in an enterprise environment, where you tend to have fewer, but larger subnets.

Unfortunately, the only way you can do it at present is:

> Bulk create subnets

> Hop in IPAM_Group and change the grouptype for the required subnets to '4'

> Delete any IP Addresses in IPAM_Node that are created during the bulk import of the subnets - as supernets shouldnt have IP Addresses as children

This is hardly ideal, but creating hundreds by hand simply isn't practical, and is prone to user error.

• Hi lukeod,

in case you already have a spreadsheet with all supernets you want to add and you have there a column that represents the group/location then IPAM 3.0 has a new importing feature - it can also import structures which seems to be something that resolve your problem.

let me know if you need a help - I may jump into a quick GoTo with you.

thanks,

Michal

• Hi,

ok, I can understand that. I'll add this as a feature request. The workaround could be obviously delete existing /24 subnets and then use IPAM subnet calculator to create /27 ones.

• Hi, 

Really need this feature, and as I can see its not yet implemented on ver. 2020.2.......very impressive.....NOT :o(

Rgds,

Jesper