cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Orion Application Setup Migration

I have Solarwinds environment with NPM,NCM,NTA,SAM,IPAM,VMAN and DPA on our onprem Orion server (Windows 2012) and Database is onprem as well. I am planning to migrate the whole Orion setup to our cloud environment with less downtime with new server IP address. I am trying to get few suggestions on the migration plan.

• I am checking the HA setup option to migrate the Orion server to cloud? I have my primary Orion server as Windows 2012, can I setup secondary HA server a Windows 2016 server ?
  • What will be the migration order ? Should I migrate the database to cloud first and setup Orion HA server or should I do vice-versa ?
  • As the new server will be in different IP address range, Can I still setup HA secondary server ?
  • Are there any other best practices for Orion setup migration to cloud with less downtime ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Product Manager
Product Manager

• I am checking the HA setup option to migrate the Orion server to cloud? I have my primary Orion server as Windows 2012, can I setup secondary HA server a Windows 2016 server ?

Yes. See my post on Zero Downtime Migration here where I use this as an example > https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/Product-Blog/How-to-Migrate-Orion-to-a-New-Server-With-Zero-Downtime/ba-p/492985 

• What will be the migration order ? Should I migrate the database to cloud first and setup Orion HA server or should I do vice-versa ?

This is largely order-independent, though I typically have a personal preference to migrate the database first. 

• As the new server will be in different IP address range, Can I still setup HA secondary server ?

Yes, Orion High Availability supports multi-subnet failover, so it's not required that both servers be on the same subnet. 

• Are there any other best practices for Orion setup migration to cloud with less downtime ?

See my post on Zero Downtime migration https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/Product-Blog/How-to-Migrate-Orion-to-a-New-Server-With-Zero-Downtim...