cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Product Manager
Product Manager

Multi-Subnet Failover (WAN/DR) Deployment

High Availability 2.0 provides the first peek into supporting redundancy for Orion across subnets. This was previously referred to WAN deployment or Disaster Recovery with the Failover Engine, but under High Availability we refer to this simply as a multi-subnet failover configuration. In other words, this provides the same automated, near instantaneous, failover and recovery mechanisms as High Availability does in its first release, but extends that functionality to support pollers spread across different subnets. Those could be different sites, a dedicated disaster recovery location, or possibly even the cloud.

HIGH AVAILABILITY REQUIREMENTS

• High Availability 2.0 Installer (Built-in and located under [Settings -> All Settings -> High Availability Deployment Summary -> Setup A New HA Server -> Get Started Setting Up a Server -> Download Installer Now]
    • High Availability 2.0  Can be used only with product modules running with Orion Core 2017.3
  • Two servers running Windows Server 2012 or later
    • Both primary and secondary servers must reside on different subnets for multi-subnet failover
      • Primary and secondary servers which reside on the same subnet can be used for same-subnet failover using a traditional VIP
    • Windows or BIND DNS Server credentials for configuring the virtual hostname
    • Windows Server OS version, edition, or bitness need not match between primary and secondary servers.
    • Primary and secondary servers may be optionally joined to a Windows domain
    • High Availability supports the following configurations of primary and secondary servers.
      • Physical to Physical
      • Physical to Virtual
      • Virtual to Virtual
      • Virtual to Physical
  • A separate server running SQL 2012 or later.
    • This server does not need to reside on the same subnet as either the primary and secondary Orion server
    • Any Microsoft SQL edition may be used, including SQL Express
    • Bonus points for utilizing a SQL Cluster

pastedImage_4.png

PRIMARY SERVER INSTALL

When installing the Primary Orion server you will follow the normal 'Advanced' installation process that you would for any other Orion product. Ensure not to select the 'Express' install option during installation, as a separate server running Microsoft SQL 2012 or later is required. When the Configuration Wizard runs you will be prompted to provide the Username, Password, and IP address of the SQL server you will be using for the installation.

SECONDARY SERVER INSTALL

Once the primary server is up and running using the NPM 12.2 installer, you will need to perform a similar installation on the secondary server using the separate High Availability installer which can be downloaded from within the Orion web interface under [Settings -> All Settings -> High Availability Deployment Summary -> Setup A New HA Server -> Get Started Setting Up a Server -> Download Installer Now].

Download the High Availability Secondary Server Installer

All Settings.png
High Availability Settings.png
High Availability Deployment Summary.png
pastedImage_7.png
Evaluate High Availability.png
pastedImage_9.png

Next, execute the installation by double clicking on the "SolarWinds-Orion-Installer.exe" downloaded or copied to the secondary server.  Enter the IP address of fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of your main Orion server, along with 'Admin' or equivalent credentials used to log into the Orion web interface and click 'Next'. On the following step of the Wizard, select the additional server role you wish to install. Since this will be a High Availability Backup for the main Orion server, select 'Backup Server for Main Server Protection' and click 'Next'.

Enter IP of Main Orion Server & Provide 'Admin' Credentials

Select Server Role to Install

pastedImage_0.pngpastedImage_1.png

Once the Installation completes the Configuration Wizard will be started. When prompted to provide information regarding the SQL server database, ensure you utilize the same SQL instance and SQL database that was chosen for the primary Orion server.

The following video, while arguably boring to watch, demonstrates the secondary server installation process.

CLUSTER POOL CREATION

As soon as both the primary and secondary servers are installed, return to the Orion web interface under [Settings -> All Settings -> High Availability Deployment Summary]. There you will be able to join the two servers into a multi-subnet failover pool.

Click 'Set up High Availability Pool"
Setup High Availability Pool.png
Enter a Virtual Hostname and click 'Next'
Pool Properties.png
Select your DNS Server Type
DNS Settings.png
Microsoft DNS

Enter the IP Address of your DNS Server, the DNS Zone (E.G. solarwinds.com) and administrative credentials to the DNS server to create the shared virtual hostname

Microsoft DNS.png

BIND DNS

If you are running BIND DNS, enter the IP address of your BIND DNS server, the DNS Zone, your TSIG secret key name, and the TSIG shared secret key value.

BIND.png

Summary

Once complete, review the summary and click "Create Pool"

Summary.png

Success

When done, you will have pooled two Orion servers together across multiple subnets into a redundant, high availability pool

Setup Complete.png

The following short video walks through this process in under a minute.

110 Replies
Level 16

Hi aLTeReGo

Is it possible to use a service account without admin rights for the HA configuration? Our customer is not willing to provide DNS admin creds at any cost...

I read this one 1 doc where non admin acc can be used with some roles.. is this true?

DNS.JPG

0 Kudos

Yes, it's possible to use a least privilege service account to update the virtual hostname by following the steps outlined in the KB article below.

Required DNS Permissions to set up a High Availability Pool and access Microsoft DNS - SolarWinds Wo... 

0 Kudos

aLTeReGo

I did show the document but the customer has concerns over certain permissions where it refers high privilege access even for non-admin account..

Is there any document that talks about what exactly does the account do in back-end? Their main concern is that a 3rd party source should not have direct rights to DNS as its their entire network related and also agnst the security policies...Hence they are asking all details about the account and the process behind this configuration...

0 Kudos

The only thing that is done is a new DNS record is created for the virtual hostname which points to the IP address of the active member of the pool. When a failover occurs, the DNS entry is updated to point to the new active member in the pool. It's fairly straightforward.

0 Kudos

yes it is straight forward but the customer m dealing with needs a documentation.. i have raised a case for this... lets see what i get from support...

0 Kudos

Another option that may work for you and works for us since my previous post:

Deploy the primary poller with a HA node in an alternate DC using multi subnet failover

Deploy an additional poller in each DC

All the polling workload is on the additional pollers and the primary poller is in essence just a brain, this meant the requirement to update DNS for us goes away, in the primary pool configuration the DNS name and DNS server are dummy records meaning we don't touch DNS servers or have to worry about permissions.

We are running SQL Always on across the two DC's and have a process defined to update the polling engine ID in the event of a DC failure.

0 Kudos

So you are saying not to have application level failover but instead go with Windows level OR any other level of failover mechanism?

Although i didnt get your point on usage of APE here.

0 Kudos

Hi pratikmehta003​ The suggestion is that a workaround for MultiSubnet HA without DNS would be to add an Additional Polling Engine in each of the two HA locations which has HAwith VIP. You then send all traps, Syslog, net flow etc to the Additional poller VIP rather than the Primary DNS.

This does require a lot more spend as you would need 2 x APE license and 2 x HA license on top of what you already have.

- David Smith
0 Kudos

Ah, I see.. but this won't work out for us at the moment

I am trying to convince the customer to use the solution available from

solarwinds and also provided them email from support stating what exactly

the account does while configuring HA and it doesn't have ant impact..

but still not successful, will try to make them understand by giving step

by step procedure and hopefully they agree...

We have already bought HA license and customer is proposing to use F5 but

that again might require two active instances as per what I have

researched...

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018, 1:17 PM dgsmith80

0 Kudos

SolarWinds doesn't support an Active/Active HA solution. The HA is a Primary / Standby setup with the ability to select a preferred active primary. There are some ways around the DNS such as Load balance etc. Sadly I don't have enough experience with F5 to inform you of the best way to configure them for use with an Active/Standby solution such as SolarWinds. Hopefully, someone else in the community can contribute to that for you.

- David Smith
0 Kudos

Not a prob Smith. I am checking on the process of F5 as well... Let's see

if I do something positive then will post it here...

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018, 2:09 PM dgsmith80

0 Kudos

thanks a lot for quick response 🙂 I have a meeting with customer tomo, will explain about this and hopefully they agree to this...

0 Kudos
Level 9

I have HA in our dev environment and have been running through some failover scenarios. I brought this up to Sean Martinez at Orlando SWUG this week, as well.

There is a single point of failure in the multi-subnet HA configuration as it requires only a single MS DNS server IP. If that server is lost in any fashion, HA won't be able to update the DNS A record.

I apologize if this has been brought up already. Is there a plan to improve this portion of HA?

0 Kudos
Level 9

We're currently trying to get this working but we're having issues when connecting to DNS.

We have a ticket open but i think they're stumped too.

We're trying to configure an APE on a different domain to the primary server with HA, so need to configure the DNS server to be one in the different domain.

When we go through the wizard it always says DNS server does not exist.

ICMP & TCP53 to the remote DNS server from the primary server is working.

I've been through the following KB and confirmed everything there is in place, Required DNS Permissions to set up a High Availability Pool and access Microsoft DNS - SolarWinds Wo...

The credentials we've configured can log onto the DNS server and manage DNS.

We've tried the NAT IP and the private IP in the wizard but both fail.

Has anybody come across this before?

0 Kudos

What you describe is likely a trust issue between domains. If there is no trust, then you may need to either establish a one-way trust or utilize an alternative method for updating the DNS name. One option is to run a different DNS server local to Orion and perform DNS replication between domains. It may sound messy but to a DNS expert, this is really quite common and fairly straightforward. Another option is to create a subdomain that you can update. E.G. if 'solarwinds.com. is your domain, then create a DNS sub-domain running on the Orion server itself or elsewhere called something like 'ha.solarwinds.com'. Assuming your virtual hostname for your Orion server is 'Orion', then the full DNS name would be 'orion.ha.solarwinds.com'. That is likely the simplest option.

0 Kudos
Level 16

HI aLTeReGo

I just configured HA pool today for 1 customer. using virtual Hostname and Microsoft DNS option.

But customer came back stating the ID used for DNS is getting locked out. So could this be anything from Solarwinds end?

0 Kudos
Level 16

aLTeReGo​ One final query...

When we are activating the licenses manually for HA pool, in the hostname field, which one we need to enter? Will it be primary or secondary server?

0 Kudos

I'll assume you're referring to offline activation? Regardless, all licenses are managed by the main polling engine and handed out to servers through centralized licensing.

0 Kudos

Yes I was referring to offline activation.

Thanks

0 Kudos

Regarding the virtual hostname being optional.

We are planning a large scale deployment with multiple APE's and AWS's to front the web console and polling/node traffic.

The primary polling engine will be in a HA pool and ideally in a multi subnet setup and in essence just the brain,  if we leave the virtual hostname blank will there be any issues with APE's and AWS's communicating back to the active member of the pool?

0 Kudos

Additional Web Servers and Additional Polling Engines need to communicate with the 'Active' Main Orion server. This is done using the hostname. When a failover occurs the hostname of the 'active' main Orion server is updated in the database, and this is the name the AWS/APE will use to connect to the 'Active' main Orion server. So long as this name is resolvable by and the IP address reachable by each of the scalability engines, then there should be no problem. This does NOT require a virtual hostname. In fact, if these servers are across different subnets and hostname resolution is not available via DNS for any reason, then you can simply add the hostname and IP address of both the primary and secondary main Orion servers to the Hosts file of your scalability engines to ensure hostname resolution functions properly.