Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: Multi-Subnet Failover (WAN/DR) Deployment

The only 'changes' made are the addition of a record created based upon the values you entered in the BIND step. To create a virtual hostname we need to know what you want that hostname to be. Let's say we call it 'orion'. Next, we need to know what zone to create that record, in the event the DNS server services multiple DNS zones. Aside from that, those are the only chances that are made. It's essentially identical to the nsupdate command that you are running.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

RichardLetts

what kind of account did you create for this? Did the non admin creds work and was able to authenticate from Solarwinds?

We are having tough time with one of the customer who is not willing to allow connection to DNS inspite of informing no changes will be performed apart from the entry being created for HA...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

BIND does not use account credentials. Instead, a TSIG key is used.

Highlighted
Level 16

sorry i missed the BIND DNS here... u can ignore my query...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Hi aLTeReGo

Have some queries on the failover setup.

1. Once we download the installer for secondary server and complete the installation it will redirect to console of Primary server, correct? Will all the services on secondary server be in running state?

2. Then once we configure the HA pool by using VIP and finish it, will the services still show in running mode in both?

3. For testing failover, what all scenarios it will work? Service restart is one, how about other scenarios?

4. In case of using VIP, console be accessible from whichever is active and VIP, right?

5. Any specific settings to be done so that we can access VIP to access the console?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

ss

1. Once we download the installer for secondary server and complete the installation it will redirect to console of Primary server, correct? Will all the services on secondary server be in running state?

Negative. Only a few critical services will be running on the standby server. The SolarWinds Administration Service, the SolarWinds Agent, SolarWinds HighAvailability, and SolarWinds Orion Module Engine services.

2. Then once we configure the HA pool by using VIP and finish it, will the services still show in running mode in both?

The same services I listed above will be running on the standby server. All other services will remain stopped and disabled until a failover occurs and the standby server becomes the active member of the pool.

3. For testing failover, what all scenarios it will work? Service restart is one, how about other scenarios?

I recommend reviewing my post here -> Torture Testing High Availability

4. In case of using VIP, console be accessible from whichever is active and VIP, right?

Yes, that is correct.

5. Any specific settings to be done so that we can access VIP to access the console?

In the off chance you configured your Orion web console to only be accessible from one specific IP address, you will need to change this so IIS is bound to all adapters. E.G. (All Unassigned).

pastedImage_25.png

Highlighted
Level 16

thanks for the response 🙂 We are trying to setup the HA for evaluation purpose and found some issues.. Let me go through all your points and let u know incase i am still not able to resolve it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

aLTeReGo

One quick query i have... if there is HA setup and i have the integration to Service Now where in i am actually using a Powershell script in the alert trigger action,to send the details to SNOW. Now, when the instance gets failed over to Secondary, will my trigger actions and alerting be in-tact?

This question could also apply when i have integration SNOW without powershell script..

This might be a very stupid question but just want to ensure i am not missing anything critical...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Yes, the state of the Alerts, as well as their escalations (if any) are preserved when failovers occur. This means that the alerts will not reset or retrigger unless you've explicitly defined them to through alert escalation. Alert Acknowledgement state is also perfectly preserved throughout the failover/failback process.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Great... Thanks a lot for confirming

0 Kudos