cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Not detecting Netflow from ASA 5510 8.2.1

Jump to solution

Hi there,

As we are considering the purchase of NTA, I was trying to capture some Netflow-data from our Cisco ASA 5510 firewall. From the latest software version (8.2.1), Netflow is supported across all ASA models, and as most of our customers use an ASA, NTA would be a good tool to help them.

Before starting an evaluation of NTA, I am trying to capture Netflow-data and display them in Netflow Realtime. I am having the same problem that is mentioned more here, namely that "Netflow is not detected on the selected interface". I am sure my config is correct (and am willing to post the relevant config lines here), because I did a similar test with Scrutinizer, and that product says that it is receiving Netfllow-data from the device.

Now, could it be that... for NTA 3.5, an SP2 has come out, in which specific ASA-support has been implemented. Could it be that Netflow Realtime (from Toolset 10.3 Hotfix 1) does not yet support the ASA in the way that NTA does? Or anyone else some other clue?

Hope to hear from you, thanks in advance, regards,

Rene

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Netflow Realtime currently does not support Netflow v9.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Level 8

I found this free utility that supports NetFlow9.

http://www.manageengine.com/products/netflow/cisco-netflow.html

"The latest version of NetFlow Analyzer supports Cisco Netflow version 5, version 7 & version 9 exports.

While NetFlow version 5 is the most used version supported on routers, NetFlow version 7 is an enhancement that exclusively supports NetFlow with Cisco Catalyst 5000 series switches equipped with a NetFlow feature card (NFFC). NetFlow version 7 is not compatible with Cisco routers. NetFlow version 9 is the recent addition to the series."

0 Kudos
Level 13

NetFlow RealTime does not currently support NetFlow v9, which is the protocol that the ASA devices export.

0 Kudos

And for the time being: can you suggest a NetFlow v9 tool, that I can use to verify ASA's NetFlow-support?

0 Kudos

NetFlow v9 support for NetFlow Realtime is on the roadmap, but I can't answer as to a particular time frame.  Are you unable to verify using NTA?  That is really the only tool I can recommend.

0 Kudos

Is NetFlow v9 support still on the roadmap for NetFlow Realtime? Would be an awesome addition at least for ETS owners.

0 Kudos

aaron,

If you want more comprehensive Netflow support, I recommend the NTA module.

We would like to expand the protocols supports by the Netflow Realtime tool but do not currently have this work scheduled. Sorry I couldn't provide you a more positive answer.

Thanks,

Mav

0 Kudos

Is this still a pending issue or does it now support the CISCO ASA fully?

0 Kudos

Netflow Realtime currently does not support Netflow v9.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

After attempting to set this up on my ASA 5510 today, I am assuming that the above is still the case?  If so, do they plan to update the NetFlow Realtime to support v9 still?

PS - Given this has been significantly close to a year since first asked, you may think about putting a disclaimer on the download page; I go to try a 'free' solarwinds product and none of them work, configurator or Netflow Realtime.  Not a shining example of why I should purchase NTA. 🙂

0 Kudos

Well, verify using NTA... I am not sure. The only ORION environment that we have, is our production environment. Am a bit afraid of installing an NTA-eval on top of that... Otherwise, we will have to setup a dedicated test environment in a VM or so.

OK, for now, let's close this conversation, as my question about v9-support in NetFlow Realtime has been answered. Thanks for your support!

Regards, Rene

0 Kudos

Thanks, Floyd. Is NetFlow-v9 support somewhere on the roadmap for NetFlow Realtime?

Regards, Rene

0 Kudos