This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Network performance monitor hardware requirements

I was so happy when I got hold of the EE tookit and the network performance monitor (NPM), as it gave me what I was missing - the continous pulse sound of my network.. you know the one you need to be sure everything works allright emoticons_happy.png

First I just tested from a Compaq Deskpro EN (933MHz P3, 392MB RAM, 100Mbit link to core). I got to the point where I had 23 network node elements in the list and 2400+ interface elements. Polling interval was set to per minute for network node elements, and 10minutes for interface elements.
Response was increasingly slower, and I always had outstanding SNMP queries. I checked the network traffic to see if I was killing it off, but nope - just 50Kbit/sec throughput and not an alarmingly high PPS count.

I have at least 60-70 network nodes that I want to monitor though, so where to go from here?

I figured that I needed to test using a server, but the only server my manager had for my immediate use, was a Compaq Proliant 1850R with dual P2 400MHz's and a gig full of RAM - running Windows 2000 Server.
I was worried about it, and I was proven true; this server hardware was even performing worse than my little desktop computer.

I hope to get my hands on a HP P4 pizzabox server some time in the future, but I will be testing a HP P4 2.4GHz desktop first.
Just a few words on my experiences with the NPM.

I would really appreciate feedback from others that are using the NPM, especially related to performance and how you are tuning your systems.

My network consists of about 1600 client/server nodes, tied together with about 70 switches and routers. A medium-sized network for my region I'd say.

Best regards,
Ørjan Sandland
  • I am running EE and monitoring 35 nodes and 684 interfaces. EE is running on a P4 1.7Ghz with 1gig ram. I'd say that I can see a bit of lag in the system with that amount of monitoring. I run the syslog server, Advanced CPU monitor and NPM. I'm not to sure if this software would benefit from a multi or hyper-threading cpu configuration. One important thing is to buy a good NIC, don't get one with uses the cpu for communications. Your not sending and receiving large packets but alot of data (Packets Per Second). I am also running big brother as a web based host monitor. I'd say with the numbers you are monitoring, you need a beefy systems to keep up.

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer