This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

MDAC Error - Error #91 - Cannot open SWDiscovery.cfg

Hi there,

can someone tell me why this file refuses to open?  I have been getting the following error when trying to call up the IP Network Browser:

Error #91
Cannot open SWDiscovery.cfg

This file must exists in order for this program to operate.

Object variable or With block variable not set

I have since installed MDAC 2.6 from the MS website with no change.

Any idea's on what I can do to cure this?

Thanks,

oqtoe

•  Oqtoe - either the file is missing or corrupted.  If the file is missing, you can run a re-install / replair to replace it, otherwise, you will need to find the file (usually in %Program files%\SolarWinds\Engineer's Toolset), delete it, then run a re-install / repair of the Toolset.

HTH,

Greg

• Spend hours on this so I was hoping I could help anyone else experiencing this same issue. This is what fixed it for me, finally!!!

How to Repair MDAC 2.81 under Windows XP with SP2

1.In Windows Explorer, open the c:\Windows\Inf folder.

Note If you cannot see the c:\Windows\Inf folder, follow these steps:
    a. On the desktop, double-click My Computer, and then on the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    b. Click the View tab.
    c. Under Advanced settings, select the Show hidden files and folders check box.
    d. Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box.
    e. Click OK.

2.In the C:\Windows\Inf folder, right-click the Mdac.inf file, and then click Install.

3.When you are prompted to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD, use one of the following methods:

I. If you have a Windows XP SP2 CD:
    a. Insert the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD in the CD or DVD drive.
    Note If a "Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP" message appears, click Exit.
    b. Click Browse.
    c. In the File name box, type CD or DVD drive that contains the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD drive letter:\i386. For example, type d:\i386 if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD is in drive D.
    d. Click Open.

II. If you do not have a Windows XP SP2 CD:
    a. In the File name box, type %systemroot%\windows\servicepackfiles\i386, and then click Open.
    b. When prompted for adcjavas.inc, point to C:\Windows\servicepackfiles\i386
    Note: If you cannot find this folder put the Windows CD into your CD drive and browse for that file.
    c. When prompted for the file handler.reg, either point to C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\msadc, or put the Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM drive.
    d. When prompted for MDACRdMe.htm, point to C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ado. If this file is not present rename the file MDACReadme.htm to MDACRdMe.htm.
    e.When prompted for oledbjvs.inc, point to C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Ole DB.
    f.When prompted for mssoap1.dll, point to C:\Program Files\Common Files\MSSoap\Binaries.
    g.When prompted for mssoapr.dll, point to C:\Program Files\Common Files\MSSoap\Binaries (or below its subfolders).

4.You may also be prompted for the original Windows XP CD that was used to install the operating system.
    a. Insert the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD in the CD or DVD drive.
    Note If a "Welcome to Microsoft Windows XP" message appears, click Exit.
    b. Click Browse.
    c. In the File name box, type CD or DVD drive that contains the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD drive letter:\i386. For example, type d:\i386 if the Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD is in drive D.
    d. Click Open.

Note: In the case you cannot find those files in the given folders search the whole hard disk for them.

Regards,

Tim

• I was unable to install Mdac.inf i am getting error as installation error

• Hey Satish--

Can you give me the exact error message you are getting so I can look it up?

Thanks,

M