This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

MAC Finder Not able to find MAC

Just loaded 10.3 and testing the MAC Finder app.

Using my pc mc, and placing all the correct SNMP stings in the list, as well as just selecting the switch this pc resides.

The tool fails to find the mac? This is a 3750 stack, if I ssh into the switch and do  a sho mac it finds it?

Does the tool have any issues finding devices behind IP Phones? Though it shouldn't really matter.

-J

• Fluxeon - Can you verify that the "Do not display Cisco trunk ports" is not checked? There should be no problem finding the MAC if is comes up in "show mac"...  Also, make sure your community string does not have an @ sign in it...

If that still does not display the MAC, can you send me a couple things to help troubleshoot?

• The log from the lower left of the MACFinder gadget.
    • the output from 'show mac' and 'show vlan'
    • A sniff of the SNMP traffic to the switch during the search
    • the output from '<Toolset Install Folder>\SWSPMCMD.exe <switch IP> <switch community>  /showraw'
      • It will help to pipe this to a file <command> > <your filename>

Alternately, we could do a GotoMeeting and debug this realtime...

Thanks,

Greg

• Greg,

Here is the log file:

[172.x.x.x] Testing credential...
    [172.x.x.x] Getting sysObjectID...
    [172.x.x.x] Getting sysUptime...
    [172.x.x.x] Getting VLAN membership table...
    [172.x.x.x] Getting dot1q Bridge-MIB
    [172.x.x.x] Getting dot1d Bridge-MIB
    [172.x.x.x] Getting Bridge-MIB for all VLANs...
    [172.x.x.x] Getting dot1d port table for all VLANs...
    [172.x.x.x] Getting Port Table...
    [172.x.x.x] Error getting port table.
    leeds_stack_x.x.carealliance.com [172.x.x.x] - Data Collection result: Error
    MAC was not found, but there were some errors collecting data from some devices.

The don not display trunk ports is not checked.

I cannot get the the output from '<Toolset Install Folder>\SWSPMCMD.exe <switch IP> <switch community>  /showraw'

• It will help to pipe this to a file <command> > <your filename>

To work properly. We use snmpv3 AES so how would I place that int eh switch community string area?

Thanks

-J

• Of course now I get this in the log file.

Data Collection result: Success
    MAC was not found.

• Fluxeon - is the MAC on a VLAN?  Have you added the VLAN to the SNMP Context as show here?

--Greg

• Greg  we are on several vlans. ;)

I have not aded the context noted in the thread you listed. I will try that and see what happens. Was not aware that would be needed. Good to know! Thanks

I will get back with you.

-J

• Okay so I have the string to allow my Vlan over the snmpV3

Still no dice.

Get the same error. :(

• Okay Nevermind.

Stupid case sensitive context lines.

It works.

Thanks for all the help.

• I have it working on one Vlan what would the solution be for a large scale search?

By the looks of it I would have to Create SNMP Credentials for every vlan context in our organization?

and then individually select each as I place them with the devices.

Can I create one Credential Set with multiple Contexts? Maybe seperated by commas?

Thanks

• Fluxeon - I have tried multiple ways as well, with no success... It seems Cisco is missing a command to group all the VLANs for a given context.

You could upload and merge the needed lines using the Config Transfer gadget... :)

HTH,

Greg

• I know, but what a pain! lol

Thanks for the help.