This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How to stop Network Monitor from stopping

I have Network Monitor running on a NT server. I created an account to log into the system for Solarwinds. When logged into the account and running Network monitor things are fine. When I log out the monitor is shut down. How can I set this up to run when I am not logged in as the Solarwinds user account.
Thanks,
Joe
  • Don't log off... the Network Performance Monitor and Network Monitor apps don't run as a service so they need to be logged on... I run MS Terminal services on my server and then run the monitors in a disconnected session on the server under their own userID.

Another option would be to use an application that runs programs as a service (like srvany.exe). No gaurantee that the network monitors will support this type of arrangement.. Look in the Solar winds TFTP Server help about running as a service for more info.

Cheers
    Ric Knight
  • srvany.exe works but it causes problems with the way the applications work. I tried this method and found little bugs like printing issues and such. These problems didn't happend when I started the application normally..

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer
  • Thanks for the reply Ric. I had already moved past the "Don't log off" point in the troubleshooting process. ; ) The terminal services idea is a good one.
    Thanks,
    -Joe

quote:Originally posted by rknight

Don't log off... the Network Performance Monitor and Network Monitor apps don't run as a service so they need to be logged on... I run MS Terminal services on my server and then run the monitors in a disconnected session on the server under their own userID.

Another option would be to use an application that runs programs as a service (like srvany.exe). No gaurantee that the network monitors will support this type of arrangement.. Look in the Solar winds TFTP Server help about running as a service for more info.

Cheers
    Ric Knight
  • Thanks Lockheed.
    -Joe

quote:Originally posted by Bryan

srvany.exe works but it causes problems with the way the applications work. I tried this method and found little bugs like printing issues and such. These problems didn't happend when I started the application normally..

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer