This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Exporting to Web server

Is there a way to have the Solarwinds Net Perf Monitor to generate a jpeg every 5 minutes or so and upload that image to a web server?
  • Not really built in. I'm sure you could find some sort of macro software to trace your mouse clicks. Or you can use the XML snapshot that it will make automatically. You just have to find something that will convert the XML data back into graphical form. Have you ever used MRTG? It is free and will give you a graphical tool to plot data such as bandwidth, cpu, mem....etc. I use that to give me a web based tool for view realtime data. I use the solarwinds NPM to pull up detailed historical data. Another good program is Big Brother. I give you a web based tool for just seeing the status (up or down) of any node which supports ICMP. You can even make MRTG and Big Brother work together to give you very good web based information. Both are free!

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer
  • I've tried MRTG and Big Brother, but it was quite a bit of work. The configuration alone was a nightmare, not to mention the maintenance labor overhead. So, we opted for Orion NPM. It was a breeze to install and configure. All the time we had spent setting up MRTG and Big Brother, it was a lot cheaper to buy Orion.
  • Everyone has their own preference. Personally I thougth Big Brother and MRTG were easy to set up but what I didn't like was MRTG's historical capability. I wanted to be able to pull up detailed info for any day. MRTG gives you general history and it's more and more general the futher back in time you go. But it is a great tool and FREE=) I will probably be ordering the Orion 6 in the next few months for a new project were there is lots of money to spend!

Lockheed Martin
    Atlas V Launch Operations
    Network Engineer
  • For the Engineer's Edition, there's a tool called "Real Time SNMP Graph" that will generate a JPEG or HTML on a scheduled basis for use on a web server. The nice thing is that it will monitor any OID, I've used it quite a bit to monitor UPS's, VOIP stats, and etc...

Also, the Network Performance Monitor includes the ability to generate XML snapshots that you can then use to create web pages to display the performance data. You'd have to generate the charts manually from the database, but this might give you what you're looking for.

Of course, there's the Orion Network Performance Monitor from SolarWinds that does all of this for you if you've got some money you can throw at the problem... HTH