This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

EE Switch Port Mapper sort of works

New to SNMP but after some fiddling got my core switch and my router to reply to SNMP queries. So, Switch Port Mapper now talks to them.

When I map starting at my central switch that has servers and other switches connected to it, it sees devices and populates mac addresses on all active ports. However, it doesn't populate any IP addresses except on Port 24 where it shows tons of Mac addresses and associated with one Mac address is my entire network. Port 24 is an actual physical port that's connected to a Cisco 3524. That 3524 may have at one point been a Cisco Cluster manager, but I broke up that cluster a while ago.

Any ideas why this is behaving this way?

Thanks
  • I know that others will probably have a better answer than mine. But a shot in the dark could be clearing your arp / cam.

Thanks,
    RP
  • Well I think I figured out the problem (with some help.)
    My router whose ARP cache the switch port mapper queries sits outside my firewall (which I assume most of yours do also?) So, that router's ARP cache associates all IP addresses with the M.A.C. of the firewall not of the devices themselves, so when Switch port mapper maps IPs to M.A.C.s it maps them all to that one M.A.C. which is on one port of one switch. How do I get around this??

Thanks
  • Put a router on the inside of your firewall... preferably between your Network Management station and the network segment you want to map... run ping sweep of your internal addresses then fire up Switch port mapper using the switch and the internal router and voila.. ip and mac addressing in a nice spread sheet...

Cheers
    Ric Knight
  • I found that the old version (v5.1.37 Sept 2002) works much better in resolving ip addresses from the mac addresses.

The new verion (v5.2.0 June 2003) gives me alot of mac addresses but returning almost no ip addresses.

I can run both side-by-side and have very different results.

I'll stick to the older version..

That was my 2¢

Ciao!
    Dom
  • I also saw this with the beta version. No ip address or host names. It worked with the one in the toolkit.