This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Dynamic SWQL filter based on URL link?

Hi,

Is there a way to build a template view with a filter based on a URL variable?

Today we have 70 sites in Europe. I would like to have a view per site. This view should show me the resources

- Global Application by Status

- Global Last XX Events

- Global Node Status by Site

Based on the custom property "City" I use the filter "Node.CustomProperty.City Like 'XXXX%'" to limit the view to the necessary nodes. As result I have to create 70 views now. New site, new view.

I ask me if it will not possible to get a more dynamic filter which receives the filter value from the URL. Than I have only to adjust the link to the view instead of to set the filter to every resource per view.

Something like this:

URL solarwindseoc/Default.aspx

Filter: Node.CustomProperty.City Like %FilterVar1% 

Or is there any other option already in eoc_custom_filter in place to get a more dynamic view?

BR NetJoerg  

• Hi

Did you get any further on this one? Have the same issue but with like a few thousand sites....

• You won't get anywhere just by tweaking the url, as the filters are a property of the view object itself not a component of the url.  It is very possible to script up view creation though with the API.  I have a script I use for building app dashboards in regular orion where I build a template view an then clone it as many times as necessary and apply filters to each of those clones.  It's somewhat specific to my use case so I can't post the whole thing here, but have a look at the API documentation here:

GitHub - solarwinds/OrionSDK: SDK for the SolarWinds Orion platform, including tools, documentation, and samples in Powe…

and the main verbs you would be interested would be used like so (in powershell)

invoke-swisverb $swis "Orion.Views" "CloneView" @(

#View to clone

"$viewtemplateid",

#name to give

"Application - $($view.Applications)"

)

invoke-swisverb $swis "Orion.Views" "CloneViewContents" @(

#source view

"$viewtemplateid",

#destination view

"$newviewid"  

)

invoke-swisverb $swis "Orion.Limitations" "CreateLimitation" @( "$limittype",$null,@("$($limit.containerid)"),$null,$null )

Set-SwisObject $swis -Uri "swis://$uriroot/Orion/Orion.Views/ViewID=$($view.viewid)" -Properties @{"limitationid"="$($view.limitationid)"}

• Hmmm, thanks mesverrum​!!

That might be a possibility. Even though I would rather have one dynamic view instead of thousands of copies I guess this is a possibility.

It's worth trying out anyway.

Guess I would need a custom query with search also to find the right view also.... :-)

• Yeah, you can use a custom query resource with some swql in it to search out the links to any particular view

• Finally got time to test this and thought I'd give back by sharing my solution. Thanks mesverrum​ for all input!

So, we wanted to clone a view and create one view with limitation per siteID, where siteid is a custom property where we have enabled limitation on it. (I'm no PS programmer so I hope the code don't look to bad...) The customer has move than 1000 sites...

#region Connect to SWIS 

# Import the SolarWinds PowerShell Module if needed 

# install with "Install-Module -Name SwisPowerShell" 

If (!(Get-Module SwisPowerShell)) { 

Import-Module SwisPowerShell 

# Connect to SWIS 

$hostname = "localhost"

$username = 'admin'

$password = '' 

$swis = Connect-Swis -UserName $username -Password $password -Hostname $hostname

#endregion

#region Variables and Get site to create view for

$siteid="0004"

$ViewName="SiteView - $siteid"

# LimitationTypeID, different for each custom built limitation, look in SELECT * FROM Orion.Limitations

$limittype=57

# ViewID to clone

$viewtemplateid="144"

#endregion

#region Clone View

# Clone View

$newviewid=invoke-swisverb $swis "Orion.Views" "CloneView" @(

#View to clone

"$viewtemplateid",

#name to give

"$ViewName"

)

$newviewid2=$newviewid.'#text'

# Clone view content

invoke-swisverb $swis "Orion.Views" "CloneViewContents" @(

#source view

"$viewtemplateid",

#destination view

"$newviewid2" 

)

#endregion

#region Create Limitation on view

# Create the limitation

$NewLImitationID=invoke-swisverb $swis "Orion.Limitations" "CreateLimitation" @( '57',$null,@("$($Siteid)"),$null,$null )

$newLimitationID2=$NewLImitationID.'#text'

# Bind the new limitation to the new view

Set-SwisObject $swis -Uri "swis://$hostname/Orion/Orion.Views/ViewID=$newviewid2" -Properties @{"limitationid"="$newLimitationID2"}

#endregion

After that I created one summaryview to list all these subviews, incl a search.

Just a normal "Custom Query" where:

Custom SWQL query=

SELECT

ViewTitle,

CONCAT('http://orionserver:8787/Orion/SummaryView.aspx?netobject=&ViewID=', ViewID) as [_LinkFor_ViewTitle]

FROM Orion.Views

WHERE ViewTitle LIKE 'SiteView - %'

and Search SWQL Query=

SELECT

ViewTitle,

CONCAT('http://orionserver:8787/Orion/SummaryView.aspx?netobject=&ViewID=', ViewID) as [_LinkFor_ViewTitle]

FROM Orion.Views

WHERE

ViewTitle LIKE '%${SEARCH_STRING}%'

AND ViewTitle LIKE 'SiteView%'

Hope it helps and/or inspires someone out there!