This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Access is denied when trying to update user NPM creds on EOC

New install of EOC 1.6 on 2K8R2

Problem: I create an account and then go to the account to edit the NPM credentials. When I click "update user" I get "Access is denied" when I select details I get the below trace:

at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.CreateProvHandle(CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer) at System.Security.Cryptography.Utils.GetKeyPairHelper(CspAlgorithmType keyType, CspParameters parameters, Boolean randomKeyContainer, Int32 dwKeySize, SafeProvHandle& safeProvHandle, SafeKeyHandle& safeKeyHandle)

at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider.GetKeyPair()

at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider..ctor(Int32 dwKeySize, CspParameters parameters, Boolean useDefaultKeySize)

at System.Security.Cryptography.RSACryptoServiceProvider..ctor(CspParameters parameters)

at System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates.X509Certificate2.get_PrivateKey() at SolarWinds.EOC.Common.Utility.CryptoHelper.Decrypt(String cipherText)

at SolarWinds.EOC.BusinessLayer.EncryptionHelper.Decrypt(String text)

at SolarWinds.EOC.BusinessLayer.Username.GetPassword()

at SolarWinds.EOC.Web.Controls.UserOrionCredentialTemplate.TestOrionCredentials()

at SolarWinds.EOC.Web.Controls.UserOrionCredentialTemplate.UpdateCredentials(Boolean testCredentials)

at Admin_EditUser.SubmitImageButton_Click(Object sender, ImageClickEventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnClick(ImageClickEventArgs e)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)

at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

• Update: Looks like my HIPS agent was blocking some IIS Worker processes that try to modify the web.log. Tuned up the HIPS agent and all is resolved at the moment. Hope this might helps anyone's "Access is Denied" issues.

• I wish I had a dollar for every time I fought what appeared to be permissions issues and ultimately ended up being HIPS.  When Windows permissions are set as they need to be and permission still seems to be lacking, it's right at the top of my list of probable causes.  In situations like that, getting HIPS disabled altogether to test is quite helpful.  If it's on at any point while a config wizard is running, I assume that would be a 'very bad thing', either causing noticeable errors or (perhaps worse) keeping files from being created and doing so silently.

Along the same lines, if you get HIPS disabled, be aware of any automatic re-spawning of HIPS.  If it creeps back in while you're installing or running config wizard, you may not realize.  If only permission checker or some other utility was able to catch every (or most) common obstacles.  Lately, I have somewhat of a routine:  verify HIPS is disabled, verify UAC turned down all the way, run permission checker as local admin and fix any issues, run permission checker again, run whatever install/ repair/ wizard necessary.

And almost forgot to mention another fun potential obstacle:  group policies.

All this makes me want to make a VM at home and install products in an environment without those obstacles...just to validate that the software is capable of doing what it would seem to be able to and is documented as able to.  I bet these are common headaches for other thwackers in hardened enterprise environments.