This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Traffic bandwidth utilization report based on group created using dynamic query

I've been stumbling around Thwack and everywhere else in the Google land and haven't yet been able to figure out how to run a report against a group of interfaces that I created using Dynamic Queries.

It seems that I can only create a report that reports on the Interface status, description, etc.  But nothing that allows me to report on in/out bps and 95th percentile numbers.

I did find a really scary looking SWQL query that seemed to do something close with a bunch of INNER JOIN commands between tables.  (It hurt my brain on first glance and hoping there is a simpler solution before I investigate that path closer.)

Thanks!

-Todd

• I would suggest getting rid of the "group" requirement and instead creating the report on interfaces, using the same criteria that are in your dynamic query(ies). Group objects in Orion don't always work the way you'd assume them to, as they are their own distinct object type with their own metrics, and the child objects don't pass those metrics to the parent. In reporting and alerting, it's almost always an easier path to report directly on the objects themselves. I generally save groups for views and dependencies myself.

If you look for the "Historical Traffic Report" category in the reporting section of Orion, there's a handful of ideas there that should meet your requirements. Ex: https://oriondemo.solarwinds.com/Orion/Report.aspx?ReportID=108

All you need to do is copy one of those and then edit it to target the specific interfaces and details you'd like to see. While I <3 custom reporting, in some cases it's just a bit of overkill.

That being said, if you want to try and create a custom report just to work out some logic and learn more about SWQL, toss an idea in here as a reply with the specific columns you'd like to see in the results and I'll help you out emoticons_happy.png