cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
james.kimble
Level 7

Solarwinds Volume Monitoring Issue

Having an issue with SW. My production environment is all virtual using VMWare ESX . I noticed that SW uses the unique ID of the volume which is my problem. Due to the virtual environment nodes tend to bounce around from host to host every once in a while. This process creates new IDs for each volume, solarwinds doesn't acknowledge the change and continues monitoring that drive (which is now down). I have around 500 virtual servers all with multiple drive letters. Its hard to keep the monitoring updated and correct. When a drive goes down it shoots out an email and since I have a large environment I get flooded with emails and sometimes miss some, the new drive IDs have to be readded manually one at a time and I have to create all new custom properties for the drives. Is there a way to have SW look at just the drives on the node rather than polling a unique ID?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
james.kimble
Level 7

Re: Solarwinds Volume Monitoring Issue

Still an issue... Trying to figure out WHY the volume ID keeps changing. Nothing in Event Viewer, Cluster Manager, or VMware shows any relevant information at the time it dropped off.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

Hi,

I am facing the same issue, Please assist so that we can fix this issue.

Thanks - K

0 Kudos
Highlighted
vinay.by
Level 16

I dont think you'll get a straight response for this query - as its a known fact

You will have to look for workarounds, I am pasting a couple of help thread's - you will have to tweak it or try something better

Re: How to get solarwinds to automatically pick up a renamed volume

Re: Clean up Unknown interfaces and volumes.

FixOrionVolume.ps1

You will either have to cleanup unknown volumes and find a way to discover volumes automatically OR you will have to extend FIxOrionVolume.ps1 to check for both down + unknown volumes and fix it

0 Kudos
johnny_ringo
Level 12

you could also increase the interval in which your discovery scans run.  This would be the easy way to solve this albeit not the most elegant.

0 Kudos
aLTeReGo
Level 21

Orion Platform 2019.2 includes the ability to automatically delete these 'unknown' volumes. For more information, check the link below.

https://thwack.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-204353#jive_content_id_Automatic_Removal_of_Unknown_Volumes

0 Kudos