cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
smoked_angus
Level 12

SolarWinds as CMDB source for servicenow?

Hello,

Has anyone out there ever used SolarWinds data as an input to the servicenow CMDB?

We are considering utilizing SolarWinds as our initial primary source of data into the servicenow CMDB rather than servicenow Discovery.

We already have SolarWinds set up and polling our Data Centers.

Are there drawbacks to this approach? What are they? Was it a large manual operation to transform SolarWinds data into the CMDB?

For relationship within the servicenow CMDB, what was lost versus utilizing servicenow Discovery?

Thanks for any input.

12 Replies
mimcginnis
Level 8

Re: SolarWinds as CMDB source for servicenow?

Just curious if you tried it, and if you got anywhere with it.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
smoked_angus
Level 12

I did not pursue - we are eventually migrating to servicenow Discovery.

0 Kudos
Jfrazier
Level 18

We do a true up between Orion and SNow a few times a year.

SNow discovery pretty much is junk and most people administrating it don't understand discovery.

I've seen it crash a core switch.

If Orion was used for discovery, then items can be exported/imported into SNow.

bthippa1
Level 9

Hello, JFrazier

Can you please share how do you it today with discovery part and export/import. we want to exercise similar efforts. Did you do any custom sql pull from orion database?  Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
Jfrazier
Level 18

Primarily we export CI's from ServiceNow and monitored nodes/objects from Orion and compare the differences.  This allows us to do a true up/audit.  ServiceNow is the document of record and new CI's are supposed to be created for new  items and then workflow pushes a ticket to us to create the item in ServiceNow.  I know it is possible to import node data from Orion that was exported in a CSV.  The challenge is to associate the relevant data for the CI owner and such....most of that is best handled by the initial CI creation workflow.  Whatever discovery process is used, there has to be a way to tied the related information together. 

acmtix
Level 13

Hi I am looking for a tool that allows Solarwinds data to be exported into ServiceNow does anyone have a script that will do this? or an application that can be used maybe via an ODBC connector? Or even a tool that allows us to pull data out of Solarwinds and auto imports into ServiceNow, say once a week?

If anyone has any ideas please let me know...?

0 Kudos
tginfo
Level 7

Hi,

ServiceNow has the ability to connect an external datasource via JDBC and run SQL queries to retrieve data.

Take a look at this:

https://community.servicenow.com/community?id=community_question&sys_id=046f4325dbdcdbc01dcaf3231f96...

https://docs.servicenow.com/bundle/kingston-platform-administration/page/administer/import-sets/refe...

You would define the Solarwind Orion server as a JDBC datasource, then create the Import Set and corresponding Transform Map. After that, you can schedule the import.

acmtix
Level 13

That is a great answer... I will investigate, thanks for that!

0 Kudos
jmichael90
Level 7

Hi - Yes this is possible.

You will need to create a jdbc data source in SN and use credentialed access to source data from SW. You can also use a mid server.

Next you will need to identify the database table to source the data from nodes, alerts, containers, etc. You can use multiple sources you will need to create a data source for each.

Then you will create a transform map to relate this SW data to SN you can input to the cmdb or staging table to coalesce multiple data points. This can be automated using a scheduled job to run daily, weekly, etc.

0 Kudos