This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SDK 1.8 Powershell snapin installation problem

I have used SDK 1.6 earlier.

Now I have updated to 1.8 but I cannot load SWIS snapin.

On PowerShell I get following error when trying to perform Add-PSSnapin SwisSnapin:

Add-PSSnapin : Cannot load Windows PowerShell Snap-In swisSnapin because of the following error: The Windows PowerShell Snap-In module C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll does not have required Windows PowerShell Snap-In strong name SwisPowerShell, Version=1.6.54.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null.

I also tried to install 1.8 to clean machine which didn't have 1.6, but error there is:

Add-PSSnapin : The Windows PowerShell snap-in 'SwisSnapin' is not installed on this machine.

Documentation says that snapin is automatically registered, but now it seems that that doesn't work.

• It should have been registered by the installer, but apparently that didn't happen. You can do it manually as well:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll"

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\InstallUtil.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll"

This registers it twice - once for 32-bit powershell and once for 64-bit powershell.

Edit March 26: Fix incorrect paths to InstallUtil.exe.

• thanks tdanner! I did 32-bit installation manually, but forget to do that also for 64-bit..

• I'm still having issues getting it registered..should that be C:\windows\Microsoft.NET\...?

Thanks

EDIT - yea that worked...I thought it didn't work the other day when I was working on it so jumped the gun on the post. emoticons_blush.png

• Oops - copy and paste error on my part. I'll edit the earlier post to fix it.

• I installed Orion SDK 1.9 on Server 2012.  While trying to add the snap-in in a script, I received an error that the snap-in was not registered.  This did the trick!!  Thank you!  (Also, I ran the cmd.exe and the powershell script editor as administrator.)

• Just bumped into this thread - very helpful indeed!

In my case, I've decided to install the SDK on a different path than the default one (D:\Solarwinds...),

and since it's a Windows 2016 Server, the microsoft.NET paths are a bit different.

I thought I should share the relevant paths here and save someone else the hassle in the same situation:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe "<SDK Installed Path>\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll"

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\InstallUtil.exe "<SDK Installed Path>\SolarWinds\Orion SDK\SWQL Studio\SwisPowerShell.dll"

* Note that "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework" has all .Net versions - so use the one relevant to you...