Then your sql really needs to be on a separate box as per all the requirements.
Those aren't requirements, those are recommendations. It performs better than it did before, with SQL native to the application, in our environment.
not sure why you kept the same ip then?
Simplify post-deployment firewall issues.
when migrating to new server, build new server with temp ip and name. Take off the domain shut down, de-license old server, switch old server off, switch new server on give old ip and name. Run through setup and configure wizard job done.
You are talking just theory in this statement, every deployment has unique circumstances and requirements for deployment.
Really struggling with your setup. Your main poller has a sql on it. And you have an additional polling engine reporting back to the main poller.
do you not have a dba team?
wasnt talking theory, when migrating to a new server keeping the ip address and name,
ill be doing the same in a couple of weeks following the instructions, just our db is on a different box.
Right, theory. When directions are developed, they are put out there based on perfect or near perfect scenarios, or scenarios the deployments were particularly tested on. When you learn things in school, it is theory until you go and apply it, usually the application is slightly different than what you learned. In this case, we didn't have a perfect or best case scenario, so we had to execute within the constraints of how the environment dictates as such within the time constraints and everything else that is involved IRL.
Not hear to get in a tit-for-tat with you, you either get what I am saying or you don't, and either way, it is no skin off my shin. It's up to you whether or not you find any benefit to my information. And if you want to go toe for toe in tech, let's bring it to a more suitable war-room and not on a self-support message board :-)
The instructions work great and are a fantastic guide, I'm sure you'll do well with your deployment!
Can you describe in more detail the process or tools you used for this?
"After uninstalling ALL SW apps and dependent applications and running a registry cleaner, deleting all files I could find in ProgramFiles, ProgramData, AppData..."
I have a phantome product on my Primary that won;t let me install an APE with out WPM.
2018-05-23 10:54:33,724  DEBUG (null) SolarWinds.Administration.SystemInfoCollector.Detectors.InstalledProductsDetector.InstalledModulesDetector - Modules detected in msi library: ACTIVEDIAGNOSTICS:184.108.40.2067, COLLECTOR:220.127.116.112, CORE:2017.3.5320.1819, CORTEX:18.104.22.16829, DPAIM:22.214.171.1241, DPI:126.96.36.199, HA:2017.3.1.851, JOBENGINE:188.8.131.528, MIBS:184.108.40.206, NETPATH:220.127.116.1115, NETWORKATLAS:18.104.22.168, NPM:12.2.5300.1871, ORIONHA:2017.3.1.3303, ORIONIMPROVEMENT:22.214.171.124, RABBITMQ:126.96.36.199, RECOMMENDATIONS:188.8.131.5255, SAM:184.108.40.20635, SQLCE35:3.5.8080.0, SQLNATIVECLIENT2008:10.0.1600.22, SQLSMO2012:11.0.2100.60, SWA:220.127.116.119, SWIS:2017.3.0.710, VIM:18.104.22.16871, WINPCAPSILENT:22.214.171.12424, WPM:126.96.36.199
So are you saying you don't have WPM installed/licensed and when you go to install an APE, it spits out info about WPM? If so, did you ever trial WPM?
That is correct. I don't have it installed. I did have it installed to EVAL it, something I should not have decided to do when upgrading. Because of other issues with that it was uninstalled. None-the-less after lots removal, including a "Burn" script and rebuild of the Primary, when the installer runs onthe the APE, which has also be burnt despite never seeing WPM, the installer wants to installl WPM onthe APE. the long story is posted here.
From my understanding, that is by design. Once you install a trial, your DB is modified to handle that particular application. When the trial is complete and you remove the installed application and SW update's its' internal system, it DOES NOT purge the schema change that happened on your DB, so for every future install using your Orion DB, it will always appear to the system that the particular application was installed. Consider yourself lucky because when we did a trial of IPAM, it actually broke our licensing in the Database and it didn't resolve until we purchased the product (which we were planning on anyway).
You have a couple of options:
Open up a support case with SW, they may have a DB tool that can help cleanup those trials;
Install APE with WPM and remove the WPM application post-installation;
and a nuclear option, start from scratch, brand new DB, brand new install (you'll still want to contact support so they can help with the reassigning of the licenses)
I am restoring the Db from backup to pre-upgrade status and the Primary/APEs from snapshot. Will attempt the upgrade again WITHOUT WPM.
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.