cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Primary Server needed rebuilding on new server but same IP, now 2nd poller won't communicate or reinstall, nor will the DB manual maintenance run

Jump to solution

Hi All,

So due to one of the Windows Updates to .Net 4.6, our primary SW server was in a state of BSOD regularly, so we built a new server, shutdown the old, spun up the new, reinstalled SW Orion, reattached the DB, and everything is just about OK.  I cleaned up the DB with the proper websites and servers, the 2nd poller still wouldn't communicate.  Ran through the setup again, changed around some configs (since the 2nd poller kept trying to communicate with the old machine that is now off).  I also went into RabbitMQ and deleted the old queues that referenced the old SW primary server.

But here's where I am at now.

1) I couldn't get the 2nd poller to communicate with the primary server, so I removed the poller from the SW configure, and uninstalled all the SW applications.  This was done after I exhausted everything I could find on reattaching that 2nd poller. Now, trying to install the application, I am met with:

Installation process failed for the primary Orion server

Algorithm has stuck! Unable to install any product on setup: [WINPCAPSILENT, 4.1.3.3024], [VCREDIST2008, 9.0.30729.5677], [VCREDIST2010, 10.0.30319.1], [VCREDIST2012, 11.0.61030.0], [VCREDIST2013, 12.0.30501.0], [SQLSYSCLRTYPES2012, 11.1.3366.16], [SQLNATIVECLIENT2008, 10.0.1600.22], [SQLSMO2012, 11.0.2100.60], [UPGRADEFIX, 1.0.0.20], [CORE, 2017.3.5320.3077], [SQLEXPRESS, 13.1.4001.0], [SQLCE35, 3.5.8080.0], [ACTIVEDIAGNOSTICS, 1.8.0.460], [JOBENGINE, 2.11.0.319], [COLLECTOR, 2.13.0.292], [SWIS, 2017.3.0.1061], [NETWORKATLAS, 1.17.0.151], [MIBS, 1.0.43.0], [SWA, 1.3.0.339], [RABBITMQ, 1.1.40.0], [DESKTOPNOTIFICATIONTOOL, 1.2.96.0], [HA, 2017.3.1.851], [ORIONHA, 2017.3.1.3303], [ORIONIMPROVEMENT, 2.8.0.196], [CORTEX, 1.0.0.5153], [ORIONPLATFORM, 2017.3.5320.3077], [RECOMMENDATIONS, 1.3.0.4759], [VIM, 8.1.0.6436], [DPI, 2.4.0.182], [DPAIM, 11.1.0.1191], [SAM, 6.5.0.2997], [WPM, 2.2.1.0],

2) I can't manually run the DB Maintenance on the SW server, I get the following error:

Status: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

References I used (not a full set)

Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server with a new IP and hostname - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. ...

Uninstall SolarWinds NPM

Additional Polling Engine is down or is not polling - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

RabbitMQ troubleshooting and purging SwisPubSub Queue - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Primary Server needed rebuilding on new server but same IP, now 2nd poller won't communicate or reinstall, nor will the DB manual maintenance run

Jump to solution

What finally worked for me...

After uninstalling ALL SW apps and dependent applications and running a registry cleaner, deleting all files I could find in ProgramFiles, ProgramData, AppData...

I had to find a different universal installer.  It didn't matter which one, but just a different one.  When I ran the other installer, it did its' self update and then offered up a prepopulated configuration which had the NETBIOS name of the old server.  I changed it to the proper name and it worked beautifully.  Then I just had to make sure the additional poller license was installed.

My original installer did a similar thing, but changing the NETBIOS name to the new server in the original installer did not trigger the action to actually try that new server, so it failed over and over.  Cleaning registry keys and other such maintenance tasks did not have an affect.

Jimmy

View solution in original post

17 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Primary Server needed rebuilding on new server but same IP, now 2nd poller won't communicate or reinstall, nor will the DB manual maintenance run

Jump to solution

I've done a ton of poking around with this and no luck.  I still can't get the manual DB maintenance to run nor a 2nd poller install.  Hoping that other people have an idea or two I can try.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If your keeping the same ip why didn’t you keep the same name? As this is recorded in the database.

and there are instructions specifically to do that. I would of thought your 2nd poller would be ok then?

if it was me I would revert to snapshot and start again.

maybe redo the software install change the main polling engine name back to the old name. Run the Configurator wizard make sure that’s working. If 2nd polling doesnt suddenly work run a Configurator wizard on that should be good to go.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Because we needed to stand up the replacement server before shutting down the old one.  SQL resides on our SW host server and renaming a server with SQL on it is never fun or trivial.  Easier to change the IP of a server than the name after its' been introduced into the domain. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Then your sql really needs to be on a separate box as per all the requirements.

not sure why you kept the same ip then?

when migrating to new server, build new server with temp ip and name. Take off the domain shut down, de-license old server, switch old server off, switch new server on give old ip and name. Run through setup and configure wizard job done.

Really struggling with your setup. Your main poller has a sql on it. And you have an additional polling engine reporting back to the main poller.

do you not have a dba team?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Then your sql really needs to be on a separate box as per all the requirements.

Those aren't requirements, those are recommendations.  It performs better than it did before, with SQL native to the application, in our environment.

not sure why you kept the same ip then?

Simplify post-deployment firewall issues.

when migrating to new server, build new server with temp ip and name. Take off the domain shut down, de-license old server, switch old server off, switch new server on give old ip and name. Run through setup and configure wizard job done.

You are talking just theory in this statement, every deployment has unique circumstances and requirements for deployment.

Really struggling with your setup. Your main poller has a sql on it. And you have an additional polling engine reporting back to the main poller.

OK.

do you not have a dba team?

We do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

wasnt talking theory, when migrating to a new server keeping the ip address and name,

Migrate SolarWinds products to a new server using the same IP and hostname - SolarWinds Worldwide, L...

ill be doing the same in a couple of weeks following the instructions, just our db is on a different box.

ta

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Right, theory.  When directions are developed, they are put out there based on perfect or near perfect scenarios, or scenarios the deployments were particularly tested on.  When you learn things in school, it is theory until you go and apply it, usually the application is slightly different than what you learned.  In this case, we didn't have a perfect or best case scenario, so we had to execute within the constraints of how the environment dictates as such within the time constraints and everything else that is involved IRL.

Not hear to get in a tit-for-tat with you, you either get what I am saying or you don't, and either way, it is no skin off my shin.  It's up to you whether or not you find any benefit to my information.  And if you want to go toe for toe in tech, let's bring it to a more suitable war-room and not on a self-support message board 🙂

The instructions work great and are a fantastic guide, I'm sure you'll do well with your deployment!

Jimmy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I've been able to fix the maintenance issue, but adding the second poller still fails with the following.  I've tried running as 'admin' along with various other admin accounts.  This is on the same server it was originally installed, but I uninstalled everything once we had rebuilt the primary SW server with the same IP as before, just a different name:

Installation process failed for the primary Orion server

Algorithm has stuck! Unable to install any product on setup: [VCREDIST2008, 9.0.30729.5677], [VCREDIST2010, 10.0.30319.1], [VCREDIST2012, 11.0.61030.0], [VCREDIST2013, 12.0.30501.0], [SQLSYSCLRTYPES2012, 11.1.3366.16], [SQLNATIVECLIENT2008, 10.0.1600.22], [SQLSMO2012, 11.0.2100.60], [UPGRADEFIX, 1.0.0.20], [CORE, 2017.3.5320.3077], [SQLEXPRESS, 13.1.4001.0], [SQLCE35, 3.5.8080.0], [ACTIVEDIAGNOSTICS, 1.8.0.460], [JOBENGINE, 2.11.0.319], [COLLECTOR, 2.13.0.292], [SWIS, 2017.3.0.1061], [NETWORKATLAS, 1.17.0.151], [MIBS, 1.0.43.0], [SWA, 1.3.0.339], [RABBITMQ, 1.1.40.0], [DESKTOPNOTIFICATIONTOOL, 1.2.96.0], [HA, 2017.3.1.851], [ORIONHA, 2017.3.1.3303], [ORIONIMPROVEMENT, 2.8.0.196], [CORTEX, 1.0.0.5153], [ORIONPLATFORM, 2017.3.5320.3077], [RECOMMENDATIONS, 1.3.0.4759], [VIM, 8.1.0.6436], [WINPCAPSILENT, 4.1.3.3024], [DPI, 2.4.0.182], [DPAIM, 11.1.0.1191], [SAM, 6.5.0.2997], [WPM, 2.2.1.0],

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

If it’s a permission issue my normal process is set Solarwinds services to manual create a New local admin account and restart. ligin with new account and set services to auto then run through again.

0 Kudos