This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Not even sure where to start... But attempting to pull data from SWDB to a format for Tableau

I'm becoming more and more the structural resource for SW, and we are pulling VPN stats for a SLT report and we'd like to pull data from the SW DB to a format that our Tableau developers can import into a report. From us, they want Peak VPN usage for the previous day. 

We are also in the process of stabilizing one of our SW instance, as we're a pretty large company, and monitor 120,000+ elements per instance, and have had some issues scaling, and the CLI polling of ASA's is not working well, and it appears is taxing our DB for some queries.

I've built UnDP for VPN data, and get, per Cisco ASA, VPN active remote access users for four ASA's in a multiple UnDP poller chart, and then a second chart is set to Sum the total. I want to get out that sum total via API, if possible into what the tableau developer needs. 

any hints would be appreciated.

Any 

• There are at least a couple ways. The first would be to create a read only account on your SolarWinds database and have tableau query data directly, or secondly extract the data through the SWIS interface and place it on another database for tableau. 

• Agreed, for this scenario you arent exporting out the chart or anything related to things you build in the GUI, you just give the tableau system a service account directly into the db so they can pull out what they need. Their tool already has lots of capabilities around connecting to existing databases and they will most likely be comfortable using SQL to convert the raw data into something they can use. They'd probably just need you to point them to the correct tables. In this case it sounds like everything they need would be on custompollerassignmentview and custompollerstatistics.