This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Issues with the SWIS API

Unable to use the SWIS API for any kind of queries.

Getting a connection reset error before getting results of the queries.

• This used to work fine , but now on a browser it shows a certificate warning and then shows a page cannot be displayed.
    On continuous refreshes of the browser , After 5 minutes, prompts for the username and password and starts showing results. 

• I think the typical thing to do here it's probably run the configuration wizard and call support
  • I recently upgraded to 2019.4
    So The config wizard was indeed run during this time.
    A support case is in place but they asked me post these questions on thwack .
  • Is the website loading as expected or do you see any other „sluggishness“?
    You mentioned after some time and reloading you get a response from SWIS?
    I suspect a general performance issue.
  • Having no issues with website. Just this SWIS response are delayed for some reason.

Here is a curl output

curl -k -v -u testuser:testuser https://<SOLARWINDS_SERVER_IP>:17778/Solarwinds/InformationService/v3/json/Query?query=SELECT%20TOP%201%20NodeID,%20Caption%20FROM%20Orion.Nodes

* TCP_NODELAY set
    * Connected to <SOLARWINDS_SERVER_IP> port 17778 (#0)
    * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with <SOLARWINDS_SERVER_IP> port 17778 (step 1/3)
    * schannel: disabled server certificate revocation checks
    * schannel: verifyhost setting prevents Schannel from comparing the supplied target name with the subject names in server certificates.
    * schannel: sending initial handshake data: sending 178 bytes...
    * schannel: sent initial handshake data: sent 178 bytes
    * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with <SOLARWINDS_SERVER_IP> port 17778 (step 2/3)
    * schannel: failed to receive handshake, need more data
    * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with <SOLARWINDS_SERVER_IP> port 17778 (step 2/3)
    * schannel: encrypted data got 913
    * schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 913 length 4096
    * schannel: sending next handshake data: sending 358 bytes...
    * schannel: encrypted data got 91
    * schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 91 length 4096
    * schannel: SSL/TLS handshake complete
    * schannel: SSL/TLS connection with <SOLARWINDS_SERVER_IP> port 17778 (step 3/3)
    * schannel: stored credential handle in session cache
    * Server auth using Basic with user 'testuser'
    > GET /Solarwinds/InformationService/v3/json/Query?query=SELECT%20TOP%201%20NodeID,%20Caption%20FROM%20Orion.Nodes HTTP/1.1
    > Host: <SOLARWINDS_SERVER_IP>:17778
    > Authorization: Basic dGVzdHVzZXI6dGVzdHVzZXI=
    > User-Agent: curl/7.55.1
    > Accept: */*
    >
    * schannel: client wants to read 102400 bytes
    * schannel: encdata_buffer resized 103424
    * schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 103424
    * schannel: Curl_read_plain returned CURLE_RECV_ERROR
    * schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 4096
    * schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
    * Closing connection 0
    * schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with <SOLARWINDS_SERVER_IP> port 17778
    * Send failure: Connection was reset
    * schannel: failed to send close msg: Failed sending data to the peer (bytes written: -1)
    * schannel: clear security context handle
    curl: (56) Send failure: Connection was reset

• I'd follow the troubleshooting recommendations from this thread: https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/Discussions/Connection-to-REST-port-getting-reset/m-p/75708 

• See if a firewall is interfering with the communication.
    • Check the SWIS logs at C:\ProgramData\SolarWinds\InformationService\v3.0\Orion.InformationService.log for interesting errors.
    • Check the Windows Event Log.
    • I dont see an issue with the firewall .These queries have same resonse when run on the solarwinds server itself. 
    • Didnt find anything related to these queries. In fact sent the dagnostics to Solarwinds support and they werent able to see anything interesting in it
    • Have been checking the Event logs. Not able to identify anything specific to this issue.

I did a netstat -an | findstr "17778" and got 1106 rows of ESTABLISHED connections.

We have only around 90 Solarwinds agents pointing to this server 

• There is related discussion for this particular case on a separate thread at https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/Discussions/slow-response-from-SWIS-API/m-p/590329.  It seems like testing the network connection with tools like NetPathTraceroute NG, or Wireshark might be the next step.

• I also see more than 1000 connections on port 17778 established at a given point of time. Not sure if that might be causing the issues.

I do have Wireshark. Is there anything specific that i need to check or verify ?

• I'm not a Wireshark expert, sadly.  You'll want to set up a capture with filters so that you're only looking at traffic between your client machine and your Orion server over port 17778.

https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChCapCaptureFilterSection.html

Because the traffic is encrypted, you won't be able to look at the contents.  There are methods for TLS decryption if you know the encryption secrets, but I suspect that's not necessary.

https://wiki.wireshark.org/TLS

I think you just want to run the packet capture, look at the results, and look for errors or any legs of transmission that have high latency.