cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Re: DNS Report Feedback & Thoughts

eh? what the ... I expected the tests, results and formatted output of the old tool. My shock in being presented with this dumbed down and fluffy replacement is almost as great as my disappointment that something i valued is now unlikely to be renewed.

I hope whatever changes you do make you do the following at the very least - restore the table layout, maintain the order of the tests of the previous tool, contain at least all the old tests of the old tool, restore the technical detail and get rid of the new fluff.

Sorry to be so negative, but DNSReport was a magic tool, thorough, quick and easy to parse the results. I can hardly focus on the page of this new version.

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Thanks! The specifics are very helpful. We'll be doing a ton of side-by-side comparisons of the old and new tools, so these are good things to keep our eye on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The new format of the DNS Stuff Domain Reports I confess I have tried to come to like but don't. It looks nicer but it's actually harder to use, at least for us and our clients.

We would often print the old format report before going in to a prospective client pitch meeting.  The lack of color was great because the yellow and red color blotches let everyone focus right away on the problem areas and the technical detail was right there too.  With the new report format we actually have to read each section to figure out whether there is a problem or not -- and then we take a yellow highlighter to the printed copy to mark which areas need attention.

We often made use of the "email link" generator to circulate a report to various folks who needed to see it. It was easy for us and the recipient to use, and gave DNS Stuff a nice plug to the recipient.   Everyone feels now like you are in the email harvesting business, so instead we print the report to a pdf and email the pdf instead. More work and less plug for DNS Stuff.

I like that the report itself appears more modern, but it's functional efficiency has gone way down unfortunately.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

This information about exactly what you're using the data for and how is really helpful - that helps us walk back through your steps and test any design concepts to make sure we're providing that functionality.

Hopefully we can strike a balance between the value, visibility, detail, and organization of the previous report and improved usability based on what we know now that you're all coming to DNSreport for (issues and the detail behind them, results of ALL tests - even those that passed - with the details behind them, etc).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

In total agreement with all comments so far.  Have been a paid user for 3 years and I don't think I'll be renewing this year.  Tools used to be much faster and more accurate.  Quite frustrating now after many years of great service.  Most frustrating is the amount of times I wait for the tools to deliver no results after an IP search or reverse lookup.

Hope you folks are able to rectify the situation or at least revert back to a functional version of the site.

Dave

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Thanks, Dave.

Most frustrating is the amount of times I wait for the tools to deliver no results after an IP search or reverse lookup.

I wanted to make a note specifically on this: we had an issue over the last 24-48 hours where the tools performance degraded to the point where many pages were NOT returning results. This was resolved yesterday/today and we're hoping to avoid it in the future. We're also introducing more traceability into the tools, so that when they do fail customers can report a transaction ID that lets us identify exactly what happened and improve the site.

We're also taking a hard look at performance between the two sites (old vs. new) from the point you submit the search to all results being presented; we'll use those results to track down lingering issues. Right now, there does seem to be a performance issue with traceroute specifically that we've narrowed down, but we'll be looking through all of the tools.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Hey DNSreport Feedback Crew,

Thanks to our UX team, I've got a mock-up of a version that tries to focus on the issues addressed in this thread where it applies.

• Identifying failures or issues quickly
  • Formatting the page in such a way that it's scannable and obvious where those errors are
  • Formatting the results in such a way that they are more readable (a la the old table format)
  • Exporting and circulating results for highlighting failures and issues, or sending via e-mail

Some things you won't see in the mockup but we will address separately, including:

• Restoring the raw additional details for tests where relevant, not just including the (poorly written) English translation

Notes on the attachment:

• The Overall Results section will show the number of overall failures, warnings, passes, and info results. When you click on those items (for example the "3" under "fail") it will show a hover with the details for just those failures (allowing you to zero in on just the failures).
  • Each section is collapsible, so if you want to focus on just a specific area, you can collapse the ones you aren't interested in. (The page is really really long, this helps you work through it more easily)
  • The table format is back, with the status, test name, and information separated into three columns.
  • Failures will be highlighted in red (the entire row), warnings in yellow (the entire row), and Pass/Info will have colored status rows but the text will be white.
  • There's an "Export" button on the top right that will let you save the results as a PDF. (PDF is printable and e-mailable without losing a lot of formatting, which seems to be what people are doing with the pages)

Without further adieu, here's the sample (click for full size if it's too small):

DNSstuff-DNSreport-v2.1-Mockup.png

So, what do you think of the new-old formatting?

• Is there something we could add that would make this more useful?
  • Is there something you see that isn't useful, or maybe isn't useful as presented but could be tweaked and made a LOT more useful?
  • Did seeing this spark anything that you still prefer from the old format that we missed, or something you actually like in the new format?
  • Is this more readable, or do you want to see anything else added that will improve readability?
  • Did we miss any of your pet peeves?

This is just pixels, it's relatively easy for us to tweak at this stage. We'd like to get it right.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Level 7

The mockup png is much better for our needs on first glance, thank you!

When we are speaking with C-level execs, they need to be able to gravitate quickly toward the issues, and have something they can then hand to their internal IT folks with enough technical detail for the IT folks to be able to resolve the issue quickly.

Can you also restore the report link generator we could then cut 'n paste into emails? Asking others to register gets in the way of their seeing the reports quickly, and with all due respect comes across as email harvesting...

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Thanks, Mark. I will take a look at what the old DNSreport did for the e-mail linking - I imagine there was an authentication bypass if you were accessing it from an e-mailed link and we overlooked that with the move (there was a similar case with Mail Server Test Center where a couple of tools needed to bypass the normal authentication mechanisms, so it looks like we found one more).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

OK, a great step in the right direction. I like the ability to save it as a PDF and email.

One thing I noticed on the current is mistake in the way the response is being read. In the MX section on the SMTP Greeting, It is reporting a failure when in fact the failure is on the part of how the report is looking at the data. In the picture I included, the very first part of the line is 250-smtp38.gate.dfw1a.rsapps.net which is correct data and should be labled as a Pass.

I am not sure about having the entire line colored rather than just the status column.

Also, the originator of DNSTools prefers email over e-mail. I have the email to prove it.

7-18-2012 1-25-06 PM.gif

Any way of seeing a full report to give feedback on section by section?

0 Kudos