This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Custom Properties - How to audit for changes

Hi,

I have a question, and I can't seem to find it.  Is there a way to be able to audit a custom property field, to be able to run a report to see who changed the property and when?

The reason is, we have setup a Mute_Node property, and would like to audit to see who muted it and when.

Thanks much!

• I am able to get this out of SWQL, however, how can I link this to get the node name, instead of it just appearing in the message?

SELECT o.TimeLoggedUtc, o.AccountID, o.ActionTypeID, o.AuditEventMessage, o.NetworkNode, o.NetObjectID, o.AuditingActionType.ActionTypeDisplayName

FROM Orion.AuditingEvents o

WHERE AuditEventMessage like '%Mute_Node%' and networkNode is not NULL and ActionTypeID = 30

order by TimeLoggedUtc DESC

• The NetworkNode property is the NodeID value, so you can join to the Orion.Nodes entity to get other node properties. Like this:

SELECT o.TimeLoggedUtc, o.AccountID, o.ActionTypeID, o.AuditEventMessage, o.NetworkNode, n.DisplayName, o.NetObjectID, o.AuditingActionType.ActionTypeDisplayName

LEFT JOIN Orion.Nodes n ON o.NetworkNode=n.NodeID

WHERE AuditEventMessage like '%Mute_Node%' and NetworkNode is not NULL and ActionTypeID = 30

• Thanks TDanner, you're a genus!

Do you know why when I link a custom property table that it shows multiple duplicates?

SELECT o.TimeLoggedUtc, o.AccountID, o.ActionTypeID, o.AuditEventMessage, o.NetworkNode, n.DisplayName, o.AuditingActionType.ActionTypeDisplayName, cp.OS_Environment 

left JOIN Orion.Nodes n ON o.NetworkNode=n.NodeID 

right join orion.nodescustomproperties cp on o.networknode=n.nodeid

WHERE AuditEventMessage like '%Mute_Node%' and NetworkNode is not NULL and ActionTypeID = 30 

pastedImage_0.png

• You are getting result set multiplication because of how the ON clause in your join to Orion.NodesCustomProperties is written:

right join orion.nodescustomproperties cp on o.networknode=n.nodeid

Notice how the ON expression does not mention "cp"? This means that every row in Orion.NodesCustomProperties "matches" every row in the rest of the result set. You probably meant to say "o.networknode=cp.nodeid".

Another note: even with the ON clause fixed, you are using a RIGHT JOIN, which may not be what you want here. RIGHT JOIN will include every row in Orion.NodesCustomProperties regardless of whether there is a corresponding audit event.

• Ahh I get it!  Thanks for your support, it's been very .. enlightening!

SELECT o.TimeLoggedUtc, o.AccountID, o.AuditEventMessage, n.DisplayName, o.AuditingActionType.ActionTypeDisplayName, cp.OS_Environment, cp.os_admin, cp.site_name

left JOIN Orion.Nodes n ON o.NetworkNode=n.NodeID 

left join orion.nodescustomproperties cp ON o.networknode=cp.nodeid