This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Creating an array in a powershell script

I am trying to figure out a way to dynamically create an array from several variables inside of a powershell script.

I have several variables that will be deffined

$svr_list1 = "svrA", "svrB", "svrC"

$svr_list2 = "svrD", "svrE"

$svr_list3 = "svrF", "svrG"

$svc_list1 = "svcA", "svcB"

$svc_list2 = "svcA", "svcC"

$svc_list3 = "svcD"

I am trying to figure out some list that can pull these together into a single array but only have single groups line up so all servers in svr_list1 will only get the services in svc_list1, list 2 will line up, etc

$arry =   [svrA][svcA]

[svrA][svcB]

[svrB][svcA]

[svrB][svcB]

[svrC][svcC]

[svrC][svcB]

[svrD][svcA]

[svrD][svcC]

[svrE][svcA]

[svrE][svcC]

[svrF][svcD]

[svrG][svcD]

I would like to loop this so that i can just update my original variables that are used elsewhere and then this loop would pull together the appropriate list without having to manage it twice. 

• Ok i found some code that I was able to put together that seems to solve this issue.  Posing it here if anyone has any improvements or could use it as well.

$sufixes = @('list1', 'list2', 'list3')

$svr_list1 = "svrA", "svrB", "svrC"

$svr_list2 = "svrD", "svrE"

$svr_list3 = "svrF", "svrG"

$svc_list1 = "svcA", "svcB"

$svc_list2 = "svcA", "svcC"

$svc_list3 = "svcD"

foreach ($sufix in $sufixes)

{

$svr_var = Get-Variable svr_$sufix -valueonly

$svc_var = Get-Variable svc_$sufix -valueonly

foreach ($i in $svr_var)

{

foreach ($j in $svc_var)

{

$array += ,@($i,$j)

}

}   

}

$array

This seems to update accordingly for me, now in my code i just need to maintain the server and service lists and if i add a new one just update and add the additional suffix.  I did see something about using array lists being better than the " += " functionality as it needs to duplicate the array in memory however my lists are pretty small right now.