This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Cisco FTD - Simple script to download configuration

Just trying to write a simple automated script that will download the running-config from a Cisco FTD Firewall. 

The process is :

ssh to device

login with username/password

type command : system support diagnostic

type command : show run

• Did you get it to work - im running into the same problem and support does not seem to be able to assist me.

• Does this not work via NCM?  (Sorry, I don't have firsthand experience with the FTD devices)

• Will your FTD let you do just a 'show run'? On mine it does not recognize that command. I have to do the full 'show running-config'.

I'm having the same issue trying to get my configs backed up.

I created a specific connection profile for the FTD's and I can get connected. My problem is that SolarWinds is initially sending a 'terminal width 0' command, which the FTD can't understand.

Anyone know how to tell NCM to not send that command when it initially connects to an FTD?

• Ok, I've got it figured out.

If you go into your 'Device Templates Management' you can copy one of the Cisco templates that exists.

In there you can remove the first line under commands the tries to do a 'terminal width 0'

You will also need to edit the lines that define the command names for 'startup' and 'running'. Just edit them to read as Value="startup-config" and Value="running-config".

Lastly, you will need to remove the line toward the bottom where it defines the write memory. Apparently this is not supported in the CLI and handled by the FMC.

Here's my config I'm using for my nightly backup on my configs. It has been tested and works for me.

<!-- edited with XML Spy v4.4 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by () -->

<!--SolarWinds Network Management Tools-->

<!--Copyright 2005 SolarWinds.Net All rights reserved-->

<Configuration-Management Device="Cisco Devices" SystemOID=" 1.3.6.1.4.1.9">

<Commands>

<Command Name="Reboot" Value="reload${CRLF}y${CRLF}y"/>

<Command Name="EnterConfigMode" Value="config terminal"/>   <=====(Not sure this works)

<Command Name="ExitConfigMode" Value="end"/>

<Command Name="Startup" Value="startup-config"/>

<Command Name="Running" Value="running-config"/>

<Command Name="DownloadConfig" Value="Show ${ConfigType}"/>

<Command Name="UploadConfig" Value="${EnterConfigMode}${CRLF}${ConfigText}${CRLF}${ExitConfigMode}"/>

<Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirect" Value="copy ${ConfigType} ${TransferProtocol}://${StorageAddress}/${StorageFilename}${CRLF}${CRLF}${CRLF}"/>

<Command Name="UploadConfigIndirect" Value="copy ${TransferProtocol}://${StorageAddress}/${StorageFilename}  ${ConfigType}${CRLF}${CRLF}"/>

<Command Name="DownloadConfigIndirectSCP" Value="copy ${ConfigType} ${TransferProtocol}://${SCPServerUserName}@${SCPStorageAddress}/${StorageFilename}${CRLF}${CRLF}${CRLF}${CRLF}${SCPServerPassword}"/>

<Command Name="UploadConfigIndirectSCP" Value="copy ${TransferProtocol}://${SCPServerUserName}@${SCPStorageAddress}/${StorageFilename}  ${ConfigType}${CRLF}${CRLF}${SCPServerPassword}"/>

<Command Name="EraseConfig" Value="write erase${CRLF}Y"/>

<Command Name="Version" Value="show version"/>

<Command Name="Disconnect" Value="exit"/>

</Commands>

</Configuration-Management>

Hope this helps.

• If the FTD devices use a unique SystemOID (which is different from other Cisco devices), you can use that in the beginning of the template to uniquely identify these as they "appear" in your environment.  That way you can use the "AutoDetect" feature in NCM.

• This is the process that works access an ASA5525x running FTD code (6.2.3):

ssh to device (on management port)

login with username/password

type command : system support diagnostic

type command : enable

type command : show run

type command : ctrl+a then d

type command : exit

I have not scriptified (tech jargon), since NCM cannot manage firewalls running FTD code (yet). We are using the Firepower Management Console for these new devices.

Note: the SSH console is read only and is for diagnostics.

• Thanks for sharing this, much appreciated. I am going to try it.

We're going to replace all of our ASA's with the FTDs.

I wish NCM was better at this, but maybe on a feature request.

I'll let you know what happens! emoticons_happy.png

Thanks again!
    Cheryl

• Hi,

I am also facing issue in having config backup of cisco FTD device.

My device version :- Cisco Firepower Threat Defense,Version 6.2.3.4 (Build 42), ASA Version 9.9(2)15

OID :- 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.2404

We have got the port 22 open, credentials are working fine, I am able to login from my server using putty. But my NCM test is failing with error "Connection Refused by host abc"

Can someone please help me here.