Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aussery
Level 12

Bulk add component monitors with Orion SDK

Jump to solution

Greetings,

I'm not seeing a lot on this at this time; can you bulk add component monitors using PowerShell with SDK?  I've got something around 380 directories I need to apply a monitor to, and it'd be great if I didn't have to do that manually.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
tdanner
Level 19

Re: Bulk add component monitors with Orion SDK

Jump to solution

At this time, SAM supports programmatically assigning existing application templates to nodes, but there is no API for customizing the templates or adding arbitrary component monitors.

0 Kudos
aussery
Level 12

Jump to solution

Thought so.  Just thought I'd check.

0 Kudos
xtraspecialj
Level 13

Jump to solution

I seem to remember a post at some point on the Orion SDK forums (can't find it right now) where you can update SQL data over the API.  With that in mind, wouldn't it be possible to send a SQL Update and/or Insert statement to make this possible? 

0 Kudos
tdanner
Level 19

Jump to solution

This does exist (search the forum for "ExecuteSQL"), but I would not recommend it for this purpose. The data collection services keep a bunch of in-memory state. Even if you updated the database directly, this state would be out of sync.

bcreynolds
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Tim, any chance this functionality has been added since this question was posed in 2014?

0 Kudos
tdanner
Level 19

Jump to solution

It looks like some API in this area was added in SAM 6.8, released recently! But I am having trouble finding the public documentation that would actually explain how to use it. Let me check with the SAM team.

Highlighted
thorstein
Level 8

Jump to solution

Would be great with an update to this. I need to somehow make a couple of hundred component monitors in a few application templates, AND also hopefully be able to programmatically add more later to the already created applications. I've been able to run export template, add the xml to the file, however running import creates a new application template while I'd prefer to just add the changes to the one I've exported from.

0 Kudos
pawelk
Level 9

Jump to solution

Hi,

wiki documentation: SAM Application Monitoring Templates · solarwinds/OrionSDK Wiki · GitHub has been improved and we will continue to cover more details.

Regarding the creation of new components and component templates via SWIS, this was unfortunately omitted in the last release, but as this is desired, the feature is tracked under internal jira ticket: SAM-9636.

thorstein
Level 8

Jump to solution

Hi

Thank you very much for the feedback! It would make our workflow very much easier to be able to script in new components to a template, so I'm very happy this is now getting some attention

0 Kudos