cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Allowing duplicate nodes with Orion Discovery

Jump to solution

I am trying to allow duplicate nodes to be created in orion (i.e. duplicate IP or Mac address or SysName or DNS)

These are the steps that were suggested to be taken and were:

- Disable the detectors (IP, MacAddress, Sysname and DNS) in SolarWinds.Orion.Discovery.Job.dll
- Set the current value to zero for: Discovery-Import-DNSDeDuplicator-Weight, Discovery-Import-MacDuplicateDetector-Weight, Discovery-Import-SysNameDeDuplicator-Weight
- Run the configuration wizard and rebuilt the website
- Restarted the services

These are the resources that suggested the above:

https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/Nodes-with-the-same-host-name-but-different-I...
https://thwack.solarwinds.com/t5/NPM-Discussions/Add-nodes-with-the-same-hostname-but-different-IP-a...

Is there anything else that I could try?

I would like it to ignore duplicates, and allow the nodes to be created/updated regardless.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 17

Those 3 settings in the SolarWinds.Orion.Discovery.Job.dll.config file will usually do the trick. 

Are you trying to poll the same nodes or different nodes with the same IP possibly in a different environment or DMZ?

Previous attempts to do this across different setups have resulted in either a need to direct NIC traffic or use an Additional Polling Engine in some cases. 

If SNMP will not work for any 2nd address used to poll a node make sure you have the ICMP option set to yes for your discovery.

-CharlesH

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 17

Those 3 settings in the SolarWinds.Orion.Discovery.Job.dll.config file will usually do the trick. 

Are you trying to poll the same nodes or different nodes with the same IP possibly in a different environment or DMZ?

Previous attempts to do this across different setups have resulted in either a need to direct NIC traffic or use an Additional Polling Engine in some cases. 

If SNMP will not work for any 2nd address used to poll a node make sure you have the ICMP option set to yes for your discovery.

-CharlesH

Loop1 Systems: SolarWinds Training and Professional Services

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

The above steps do seem to work now, there was a separate issue that was preventing this behavior at the time.

0 Kudos