This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

API Feasibility - Provisioning Ticket -> Swinds Node Data Consistency

Can custom node fields be updated by entering a ticking system case number, making a call to ITSM and searching for ticket and then querying mapped fields?

• Sure but what is your complete workflow?

if you manually enter an itsm ticket number on a node custom property and a script matches that to the actual ticket then what happens next and why? What if a node is on two itsm tickets?

would you prefer to link an itsm ticket to a Solarwinds alarm so it's 1:1 then you can lookup field values on the node based it being the alert object?

• That is a very dense question! It sounds like you are considering writing a tool that will:

1. Accept as input from the user a ticketing system case number

2. Call the ITSM system with that ticketing system case number to get some values about the device referenced by the case

3. Call Orion to apply the values from the ITSM system to some custom node properties

If that's not right, please correct me.

If it is right, then the relevant Orion APIs are finding a node based on how it is referenced in the case (this will turn into some kind of SWQL query - the details will depend on how you identify a node from a case) and updating custom properties. Both of those are very common operations.

• Hey blue,

tdanner articulated this better than I did:

1. Accept as input from the user a ticketing system case number

2. Call the ITSM system with that ticketing system case number to get some values about the device referenced by the case

3. Call Orion to apply the values from the ITSM system to some custom node properties

• Hey tdanner,

That's correct! Well phrased.

Glad to know I'm not looking to do something out of the ordinary here - will let this thread know how it goes.

• Oh I finally read the subject line and see this is about provisioning vs alerting - sorry.

So what is your ticketing system? I am meeting with my team this Friday to  review doing this for our system- remove all the custom property manual process and pull from the cmdb. I am not planning on using a ticket # but rather a serial or UUID or IP as the foreign key so I get matches on everything possible.

Heres my my thoughts on design:

1. Add custom property for values from ticketing system or cmdb

2. Script, such as Powershell running on a windows scheduled task, which calls the Swis API for nodes then for each calls the cmdb/ticketing system and pulls in values into a series of powershell objects.

3. script results so that for each object call the swis API and modify custom properties as pulled from other system (might need to handle ignoring where existing values match already)

alternatively you could reverse this and call the ticketing system for ticketing that match your filter then push values into swis API. This might lower your transactions and you could trigger it to occur more frequently or even near realtime.

• We're using ConnectWise - no integration OOTB with Swinds which has been a pain for a while, I finally have licence to do something about it.

We're also lacking a CMDB - fortunately we capture everything we need to know in the provisioning ticket - one day I'm sure we'll add CMDB in the mix, but baby steps first emoticons_happy.png

I'm liking option 2, that's what I initially had in mind but wanted to confirm it was a feasible option first.

Joseph Rayment | Business Analyst | Business Services

M: 0420 300 171<tel:0420%20300%20171>

E:josephrayment@essist.com.au<mailto:josephrayment@essist.com.au>

Ground Floor, 68 Waterloo Rd,<x-apple-data-detectors://2/2> North Ryde, NSW Australia 2113<x-apple-data-detectors://2/2>

Services Contact Details

For 24x7 technical support, maintenance and warranty

related enquiries, emailhelpdesk@essist.com.au<mailto:helpdesk@essist.com.au>