This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

version 6.9.0.0 Print Screen

Note:  This is a topic brought over from DameWare Forums which has been closed.  If you wish to engage in this discussion, just comment here.

version 6.9.0.0 Print Screen
by support on Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:12 pm

My Print Screen button does not work with version 6.9.0.0.
It works in version 6.8.1.4.
Do you know what can cause this function not to work?

Here's what happens:

When the mini-remote window is the active window, and you press the Print Screen button on the keyboard, then try to paste in either Paint or something like MS Word, you either have no option to paste your print screen or in the case of MS Word it pastes an open right paren {i.e. ( }. But, if you click outside the mini-remote window, on the something like the system bar or etc, so that mini-remote is no longer the active window, then you can get a print screen without problems. It's something with the mini-remote being the active window.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
by Briantir on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:32 am

Having same issue with the same version. Can't roll it out until this is fixed.
Briantir
by Kenya on Mon May 03, 2010 12:11 pm

I have the same problem but the workarond for me is to put the dameware screen in
(VIEW ONLY) then print screen works but it's getting annoying and I hope it will be fix soon.
Kenya
by support on Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Kenya wrote:I have the same problem but the workarond for me is to put the dameware screen in
(VIEW ONLY) then print screen works but it's getting annoying and I hope it will be fix soon.

For us, View Only isn't an option. What we do as a workaround is click outside the Dameware window (ex: on the system tray or somewhere in secondary screen if you have two screens) to deactivate the Dameware Window (i.e. send it to the 'background' as an inactive window). Then, the print screen will work. But, like you, it's very annoying and an extra step.
support
by Kenya on Mon May 03, 2010 1:33 pm

support wrote:
Kenya wrote:I have the same problem but the workarond for me is to put the dameware screen in

For us, View Only isn't an option. What we do as a workaround is click outside the Dameware window (ex: on the system tray or somewhere in secondary screen if you have two screens) to deactivate the Dameware Window (i.e. send it to the 'background' as an inactive window). Then, the print screen will work. But, like you, it's very annoying and an extra step.

Yes I understood your workaround from your first post,  for me view only is annoying to activate, do the print screen, then desactivate view only, and I prefer your solution, but my post was more to lead dameware to a solution with all the workaround people experience. also it answer your question that the active windows is not the problem.
Kenya
by support on Mon May 03, 2010 3:24 pm

Ah, gotcha   Good point about the active window bit not necessarily being the problem.
support
by bryan on Mon May 10, 2010 4:51 pm

There has to be some little detail that's missing here. I've been attempting to duplicate this behavior in version 6.9, using both PrtScn and Alt-PrtScn and I haven't had any issues with either method. I've tried to and from both Vista and Windows 7 machines, and each time I've been able to paste the contents into Paint. It also works for me when MRC is the Active window, and when it's not the Active window.

So as it looks now, we're going to need a lot more detailed information in order to duplicate this behavior.

Bryan Brinkman
Support Engineer
DameWare Development, LLC.
http://www.dameware.com

by support on Tue May 11, 2010 9:55 am

I'm not sure what more details we can provide. We have tried it on both an XP 32bit box and a Windows 7 32 bit box. For the XP box, the technician uninstalled the old version (6.8.1.4) prior to installing 6.9.0.0, then had the printscreen issue when Dameware was the active window. On the Windows 7 box, we did an upgrade (just installed 6.9.0.0 on top of 6.8.1.4) , but still had the same printscreen problem. When Dameware 6.9.0.0 Mini Remote is the active window, pressing print screen yields a right paren inside MS Word, or no option to paste at all (even doing Ctrl-V) inside Paint. But, if the mini remote window is not the active window, then printscreen works fine.

Are we allowed to attach documents within the forum? If so, how? I'll see if we can get a blackbox recording of the problem on the Windows 7 box.
support
by noonz78 on Wed May 12, 2010 2:55 pm

You have the absolute worst verification process for member registration.

Turn off UAC Virtualization to resolve this issue.
noonz78
by support on Wed May 12, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks noonz78! That worked for us on the Windows 7 box (though we are not too happy with having to turn off UAC completely to get it to work). But, any suggestions for the Windows XP box? As far as we know, the XP box doesn't have UAC virtualization, but it does have the print screen error that the Windows 7 box had. Upgrading that box to Windows 7 is not currently an option due to some specific applications that don't currently work completely under Windows 7 (or XP mode or compatibility mode).

And yes, we agree the Dameware registration process is an experience. 

Re: version 6.9.0.0 Print Screen
by PopeKael on Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:59 pm
Just adding my 2 cents worth - UAC is turned off on my Windows 7 box and the PrtScrn issue is still present. My Windows XP box does not have UAC so i am unable to turn it off yet the problem exists. All systems are patched to Microsoft update cycle -14 days.

The only workaround I can use if to do a full PrntScn then paste into a graphics editor, and then cut out the relevant details for pasting into email or MSWord. This is obviously quite annoying.

BTW - I didn't find the registration process any more challenging than most online forums.
by jrackler on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 pm

We are currently having the same issue. I have downgraded the user to 6.8.1.4 until this is corrected. We do not have any issues with Vista or 7. My only issue with making the window inactive and doing a screen shot is that most of our users have dual monitors and therefore it captures both monitors. We are simply just trying to catch the one screen.
by Angelu5 on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:03 am

jrackler wrote:We are currently having the same issue. I have downgraded the user to 6.8.1.4 until this is corrected. We do not have any issues with Vista or 7. My only issue with making the window inactive and doing a screen shot is that most of our users have dual monitors and therefore it captures both monitors. We are simply just trying to catch the one screen.

Having exactly the same issue.
Happens when upgarding from the previous version & from a completely new install of this version of the product.
Have roughly 25 clients using this software and roughly 80% of them are experiencing this problem where the other 20% are completely uneffected.
Do we have any ideas as to what is causing this problem?

Cheers
Angelu5
by Jon on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:51 am

This seems to be a Problem With Windows Xp and this version. any more update on this Problem? as Screen Prints are nice to use for documenting. but the workarounds are not the slution.

Thanks
Jon
by jpflepsen on Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:21 pm

I'm having the exact same problem with v 6.9.0.0 on WinXP SP3 32bit current with all Windows updates. No option to paste anything into paint, and a right paren only pastes into Word.
jpflepsen
by xplodr on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:56 am

Same issue here running Windows Vista Ultimate x86 w/ SP2 and on Windows 7 Pro x86.

Has this been acknowledged yet as a known issue?
xplodr
by flagscrewer on Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:26 am

This was our solution for this issue:
Start Dameware - select the host - click under file - remove service - click under file - install service - select Copy FIPS Modules. After installation print screen will be available.
flagscrewer
by Marty on Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Hello,

Another user who reported this also reported that disabling the "Enable Remote Clipboard" setting witihin the application allowed him to Print screen properly.

We appreciate the feedback.

Marty Bonvillain
Support Staff
DameWare Development, LLC.
http://www.dameware.com

by Cardinalih on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:44 am

support wrote:

Good afternoon,
I made this and it works.

Thank you,
Best regards.
Cardinalih
by support on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:32 pm

Cardinalih wrote:
support wrote:

Good afternoon,

I made this and it works.

Thank you,
Best regards.

We're note sure what you mean. Did you create a program/script/something that works with Dameware to prevent the issue, or are you saying that you tried our work around and that it worked for you?
support

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: version 6.9.0.0 Print Screen
by MilkMonster on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:03 am

If 6.8.1.4 worked and 6.9.0.0 does not, then surely you (DameWare) can do a delta between the two which will show you where in the code the problem lies.