This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

System Error: 5 Acces is Denied ??? [I PUT LOGS]

Note: This is a topic brought over from DameWare Forums which has been closed. If you wish to engage in this discussion, just comment here.

System Error: 5 Acces is Denied ??? [I PUT LOGS]
by Mrconnard on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Hello everybody, i got this error today:

AUthentification failed:
System error: 5
System message: Access Denied
Please check the event log on the remote machine for possible cause

And the event gives me this:

Date:01/30/0823:55:21
ComputerName:DJ0DJ0
UserID:DjoDjo
LogonAsID:
Domain:
OSProductID:55274-642-5926024-23226
OSRegisteredOwner:Dj0Dj0
OSRegisteredOrganization:Dj0Dj0
HostNamefromPeer:dj0dj0
IPAddresse(s)fromPeer:192.168.0.17
Host:
IPAddress:(HIDDEN)
ProtocolVersion-DWRCC.EXE:6.650000-2.000000
ProtocolVersion-DWRCS.EXE:3.600000-0.600000
ProductVersion-DWRCS.EXE:3.63.1.0
AuthenticationType:NTChallenge/Response
LastErrorCode:0
LastErrorCode(WSA):0
Absolutetimeoutsetting:0minutes
Connect/Logontimeoutsetting:90000miliseconds
AccessCheck:
  0 LfLes
º G
º G  ^^* DWMRCSSERVER_NECH
DameWareMiniRemoteControl
SystemError:10061
Unabletoconnecttomailserver-Error:100610 (    """"3333DDDD0 ¸t (

I don't know if the last part (SystemError:10061
Unabletoconnecttomailserver-Error:100610 (    """"3333DDDD0 ¸t ()
is really part of the log concerning DWRCS because the event log was corrupted so ...

I thought it was due to the Absolute timeout setting put to 0 but i don't know..

I hope you'll be able to help me. Thanks in advance

Re: System Error: 5 Acces is Denied ??? [I PUT LOGS]
by bryan on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:31 pm

The remote machine appears to be running a much older version of the software that we no longer support (i.e. version 3.x).

Therefore, I would suggest you first remove this older version of the Service and install your current version of the Service on the remote machine.

If you still receive the Access Denied error using the current version, then either paste those logs back here again, or send them to our support staff at support@dameware.com for review. There should also be multiple DWMRCS entries, so send the entire text from each entry.

Your feedback is appreciated.

Bryan Brinkman
Support Engineer
DameWare Development, LLC.
http://www.dameware.com

by Mrconnard on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:40 pm

But... i managed to access this remote machine yesterday and then i DIDN'T touch anything (neither settings nor anything else) and now it doesn't work.. So it's not a problem of too much old version.

by bryan on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:02 pm

According to the log you posted, this remote machine is running version 3.63 of the MRC Client Agent Service.

ProtocolVersion-DWRCS.EXE:3.600000-0.600000
ProductVersion-DWRCS.EXE:3.63.1.0

... and you will not be able to connect to version 3.x of the Client Agent using any 6.x version of the software.

Therefore, please remove the MRC Client Agent from this machine and install the current version. Then you should be able to connect.

You may also want to check the logs on this machine to see if someone else connected after you did and downgraded the Client Agent to this older version. That's the only explanation I can offer at this time.

I hope this helps.

Bryan Brinkman
Support Engineer

by Mrconnard on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:09 pm

In fact, i connected yesterday for the 1st time to this machine with the DWRCS CLIENT version 3.60.... so i installed the version 3.60... on the remote machine... and it worked! i didn't upgrade the remote version.. (today i tried with both versions of the client and none worked)

by Mrconnard on Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:33 pm

And i forgot to say i had a "Access denied" with DNTU 6.6 !! for the remote command view and a Error for the event logs ...
So it's not linked to DWRCS in fact :s

by bryan on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:24 pm

If you in fact connected with version 6.x of the software to a 6.x Client Agent service on the remote machien, then send me the log files from that connection just as I asked you in my original response. Because without that information I cannot help you. Also send me all of the DWMRCS log entries associated with this failed login attempt, not just the connect or disconnect entry.

- What rights do you have within the O/S security on the remote machine?
- What O/S and Service Pack level is installed on both the local & remote machines? If it's XP or Vista, also distinguish the exact version of the O/S as well (i.e. XP Home, XP Pro, etc...).
- Are these machines located on the same LAN, over the WAN, accross the Internet?
- Can you access the Admin$ share on the remote machine (net use \\remotemachine\Admin$) via a CMD prompt on your local machine?

Also, just FYI, DNTU uses a completely different set of ports & protocols and wouldn't have anything to do with your behavior via MRC. Microsoft's APIs used within DNTU use what's called NT "Pass-Through" authentication. Therefore, if you receive Access Denied errors using Remote Command View or Event Log View, this means your current O/S logon credentials don't have sufficient rights within the O/S security on the remote machine. Therefore, you would have to establish an authenticated connection to this remote machine using sufficient credentials (i.e. Administrator), either within the O/S itself or by using DNTU's LogonAs feature.

Bryan Brinkman
Support Engineer

by Mrconnard on Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:44 pm

- What rights do you have within the O/S security on the remote machine?
Administrator rights in theory..
- What O/S and Service Pack level is installed on both the local & remote machines? If it's XP or Vista, also distinguish the exact version of the O/S as well (i.e. XP Home, XP Pro, etc...).
Both XP Pro
- Are these machines located on the same LAN, over the WAN, accross the Internet?
Across the Internet
- Can you access the Admin$ share on the remote machine (net use \\remotemachine\Admin$) via a CMD prompt on your local machine?
No.. Error 1219