This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Connection via Internet

Note: This is a topic brought over from DameWare Forums which has been closed. If you wish to engage in this discussion, just comment here.

Connection via Internet
by Silverscott on Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:23 am

I all,

i'm testing DWMRC v6.4.0.5 (Try it for free) cause i'd like to help anybody have computer's troubleshooting. My question is simple, is there a tutorial to help me to setup my DWMRC and the process to remote access to computers via Internet. I want to remote install the client and take control with the agreement of the final user (Obligatory).

Thx for your help. 

Silverscott
by markn455 on Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:18 pm

I need to know the trials of remote install over the internet. I was not able to do this. I created the install file copied it over using Windows Remote Desktop and installing, then connecting was not a problem.

Mark
Ball Ground, GA

by bryan on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:13 pm

Thanks Mark. That's definitely one way to do it, depending on the network configuration & implementation.

Our software does have the ability to connect to remote machines over the Internet, however unlike other "web-based" solutions where everyone connects out to some type of centralized server out on the Internet (thus bypassing any routers/firewalls), the Mini Remote Control program attempts a straight TCP connection from the local machine (running the MRC Application) directly to the remote machine (running the MRC Client Agent Service). Therefore, you will either need to implement some type of VPN solution to place you behind the router/firewall on the remote network, or you will need to properly configure any routers / firewalls (open ports, configure port forwarding, pre-install the MRC CLient Agent Service, etc....) on these remote networks as well as any firewall software on the remote machines themselves.

We do plan on adding additional functionality into a future version of the software, including NAT traversal, but I just cannot make any definite promises when this may be available.

==============================

However, as a possible work-around, the MRC Client Agent Service installed on a remote machine does have the ability to initiate an outbound connection (from that remote machine), which could be used to connect to remote machines behind firewalls/NAT, because firewalls typically don't block these outbound connections. However, someone would have to be on the remote machine and initiate this outbound request back to your local machine. Then you would just enabled Port Forwarding on your local router to allow the inbound request to be forwarded to the correct machine on your internal private network.

Let me explain further:

Once the Mini Remote Client Agent has been installed on a remote machine, the user on the remote machine can then use the special "Reverse Connection" feature within the Client Agent by right-clicking on the SysTray icon and selecting "Connect to Client". Typically, an Administrator running the full MRC application would initiate the connection to a remote machine running the MRC Client Agent Service. However, there are times when firewalls, routers, and even VPN configuration could potentially block the ports required to make a connection. For these reasons, the Mini Remote Client Agent Service also has the ability to initiate an outbound connection back to that Administrator's pc, thus bypassing the firewall. If everything is configured properly and the Reverse Connection is successful, the Administrator (you) should then see this remote user's desktop over your MRC connection.

The reverse connection feature in the MRC Client Agent Service was designed to assist help desk personnel that did not have any rights on a remote machine or in cases where incoming ports are blocked by a firewall. The Reverse Connection feature gives the person at the remote machine control over the startup of a MRC connection and the MRC User isn't even required to have any NTFS rights on the remote machine.

Also, when initiating a "Reverse Connection" from a remote machine, please make sure your local machine is waiting for the connection (i.e. you have launched the Mini Remote Control program and selected File / Accept Incoming Connection) prior to the user on the remote machine right-clicking on the SysTray icon. Please also make sure that the ports match on both ends (please note that the default port for a reverse connection is TCP 6130 instead of TCP 6129). Also, keep in mind that if your local machine is behind a router/firewall, you will have to configure port forwarding in your local router/firewall and point that specific port back to your local machine's Private IP-Address.

==============================

Also, just as Mark stated, the current version of our software also now includes the fully completed version of the DameWare MRC Client Agent MSI builder, which allows you to build custom MSI packages (including all settings, INI or Registry) to deploy the MRC Client Agent in your environment. These MSI packages can then be sent to your clients (or even distributed via Group Policies within Corporate Environments, etc...) via any of your existing distribution methods.

I hope this information helps.

Bryan Brinkman

by samlauncher on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 am

Appreciated info, its good to know..

CyberNet
by getlitleye on Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:44 am

Here, Everyone has given good information and i got goo knowledge from here, thanks for sharing this information.

getlitleye
by alexjack on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am

You will need to implement some type of VPN solution placed in a remote network router / firewall behind, or you need to properly configure any router / firewall.