This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What's the difference between select and read in operations dashboard?

From my understanding, select is a read operation, but it seems `read` and `select` are two different concept in solorswinds.

Question1: What does read mean?

Question2: What does select mean?

Question3: what's the difference?

Question4:  are those concepts defined by MySQL? is there an official documentation from MySQL?

pastedImage_2.png

• There is not a lot of documentation about operations, but it appears that a "read" is associated with retrieving the data from tables while the "select" is more about sending the data back to the client. If you drill into each of those operations within DPA, use the Wait Instruments tab to tell you more about where the wait is occurring. High amounts of wait time on "read" operations would typically point to a query that reads a lot of data, i.e. maybe inefficient. High amounts of wait time on the "select" operations typically points to a query that sends a lot of data back to the client, i.e. a "select * from table" that retrieves 1 million rows and spends time pushing that back over the network.