This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What is the maximum allowed length of the name in the name/numeric value pairs for a Custom SQL Alert - Multiple Numeric Return?

I hunted around a while but couldn't find this in the KB or elsewhere.

• Mark,

I looked some also and I think this is 120 seconds I am basing this on the file. ./iwc/tomcat/webapps/iwc/WEB-INF/classes/properties/iwc-config.properties

I am asking questions on this however as this file is outside the normal ignite_config folder that doesn't get over written on upgrades so I think a change here wouldn't keep on upgrade.

# ALERTS

com.confio.iwc.alerts.notificationTaskExecutor.keepAliveSeconds=120

• I was looking for a number of characters, not a number of seconds. I'm interested in maximizing the amount of information I can stuff in there. In the project I'm currently working on, that would be msdb.dbo.sysjobhistory.message, which is defined as NVARCHAR(4000). I have to truncate it to 425 in the alert, but that loses a lot of valuable information that I'd like to include in the email generated by the alert.

I found an old email thread that provides an answer but I'm not sure it's complete:

When the results are placed into the CON_ALERT_DB_RESULTS table, the NAME column is only 425 characters, so the field is restricted as such.

In hunting around, I think CON_ALERT_HISTORY_RESULTS.PARAMETERNAME also needs to be taken into account, which is also 425 characters.

NAME is part of a PK which also contains two SMALLINT columns which take up 2 bytes each. SQL Server limits a PK to 900 bytes, so NAME could be expanded to a VARCHAR(896).

PARAMETERNAME is also part of a PK, which contains a BIGINT which takes up 8 bytes. So PARAMETERNAME could be expanded to VARCHAR(892).

What horrible things might happen in DPA if I were to expand both columns to 892?

• Re: What is the maximum allowed length of the name in the name/numeric value pairs for a Custom SQL Alert - Multiple Numeric Return?