cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

What is meant by 'Character Range' when DPA inserts a comment?

Jump to solution

(comment inserted by DPA)

Procedure: Database.dbo.StoredProcedure   

Character Range: 1212 to 1247

Are the values listed in the Character Range the values in the parameter? Or something else? Is there documentation that I can refer to?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 14

When we pull the SQL text from dm_exec_sql_text, we notate where we note where in the procedure we got the actual SQL statement from (character range which represents the actual SQL statement.

Since a procedure may be made of a LOT of SQL statements, we let you know if you want to go back to the raw data where to find the actual statement.

Hope that makes sense...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 14

When we pull the SQL text from dm_exec_sql_text, we notate where we note where in the procedure we got the actual SQL statement from (character range which represents the actual SQL statement.

Since a procedure may be made of a LOT of SQL statements, we let you know if you want to go back to the raw data where to find the actual statement.

Hope that makes sense...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, so at Character 1212 that's where the problemsome statement begins.

I checked the DPA 11.1 documentation (https://support.solarwinds.com/@api/deki/files/10922/DPAAdministratorGuide.pdf?revision=17 ) and didn't find information regarding this. Is there, perhaps, another document I'm overlooking?

0 Kudos

Not in documentation that I know of, but could be. One other thing - we couple the SQL text with the dm_exec_requests to get additional metadata about the statement. You will notice in that DMV offsets that define where the statement begins and ends. We're providing you what SQL Server is reporting about the executing SQL...