This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What is CPU in Resources really reporting on?

FormerMember
FormerMember

I see the CPU Utilization by Sybase (%) is reporting 98% as a high and overy 80% most of the time for the past 3 days.  According to the explanation bubble - CPU is "Percent of CPU being utilized by the database instance which is a subset of teh CPU utilized by the entire system"   There are 3 Sybase ASE servers on this Unix lpar, but only one of the ASE instances is reporting this high CPU.   Based on this, I asssume it's the CPU allocated to the SYBASE ASE that is being over utilized, so the corrective action would be to determine what is using the CPU and fix it or add additional engines to the ASE Instance.

Is there any way to determine through Solarwinds what is utlizing the CPU?

• What version of Sybase are you monitoring?  If you are running 15.7, we are aware of an inconsistency in our calc.  We do a regex in java with the results, but pull the raw data from Sybase itself (monEngine table).

If within DPA, you drill into a specific day trend, use the interval dropdown and set it to 1 day.  Then click on that vertical bar.  That will take you into the detail for that day.  Click on the waits tab and you should see the different activities.  Click on which activity you would like to see and it will list the SQL statements contributing most to that activity.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mandevil

We’re running ASE 15.0.3 ESD #2.

Sharon DuBois ___ ____

Liberty Mutual Group – CIIT Infrastructure and Operations (016C/03995)

Phone: 740-919-0499

IPHONE: 614.458.8367

Request for database services:

requestit.lmig.com/.../viewForm.do

• OK, so we're calculating the amount of CPU used by the Sybase engines.  The tricky part is with LPARs and processor entitlement, if capped or uncapped, virtual processors, etc.  With the LPAR, not sure you're getting a good picture of cpu usage at all since you can potentially be working with a fraction of a processor. 

Bottom line though is we pull information from Sybase as it sees it from the OS.  Did the 2nd part of my original answer help with drilling in to see which statements were contributing to which activity?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mandevil

I can see the Hash query – but it’s showing /* DYNAMIC_SQL (No SQL text reported by database) */

Do you know any way to figure out what’s running?

Sharon DuBois ___ ____

Liberty Mutual Group – CIIT Infrastructure and Operations (016C/03995)

Phone: 740-919-0499

IPHONE: 614.458.8367

Request for database services:

requestit.lmig.com/.../viewForm.do

• We can only capture the text if it's running from within a procedure.  Since this is dynamic, I think it's just a straight SQL Statement.  The reason I was told is that it isn't a simple join and low cost query to get the SQL text for dynamic SQL in Sybase...  You should be able to see other metadata about that hash though to get some clues as to who's running it and from where.