This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer SLA monitoring and tracking?

Hi,

I am looking for a performance monitoring solution that I can also leverage for SLA tracking/monitoring. I love what SolarWinds DPA can do from a performance perspective, but can SolarWinds DPA also give me the ability to track and report SLA metrics?  What I am looking for specifically is a tool that allows me to dashboard aggregate metrics such as n% of queries/stored procedures are within SLA guidelines.  A nice to have would be an alert when a query/stored procedure exceeds the SLA threshold.

Thanks,

Adam Haines

• This is a great feature request.  I've submitted it here >> https://thwack.solarwinds.com/ideas/5052

• As far as what DPA can do now.  You can create custom metrics and reports.  So depending on what the SLAs were on, you may be able to achieve your desired outcome.  I suggest having a call with an SE to discuss specifics.

• Thanks Brian.

I will setup a call with a sales engineer to figure out what is possible, within the product.

Thanks!

Adam

• jahaines82

The following is something I came up with to alert us whenever a query's execution time has exceeded a specified threshold. Obviously this does not cover a full set of SLA's but it might prove useful as a starting point.  I set this up as an alert that ran every minute and so anytime a query's execution was taking longer then 1 minute I was immediately alerted.  I used DPA's alert functionality to push to me the info needed when any query was taking long enough to warrant a review.

DECLARE @MetricThreshold INT
    SET @MetricThreshold = 1000

SELECT 'LoginID=' + S.original_login_name
        + ';SPID' + Convert(VARCHAR, A.session_id)
        + ';HOST=' + S.host_name
        + ';App=' + S.program_name
        + ';CMD=' +  A.command
        + ';Duration=' + Convert(VARCHAR,DATEDIFF(ms, a.start_time, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP)) + 'millisec(s);'
        + 'TSQL=' + Convert(VARCHAR(256),b.text), Convert(VARCHAR,Datediff(ms, a.start_time, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP))

FROM sys.dm_exec_requests a Join sys.dm_exec_sessions S ON A.session_id = S.session_id
                        CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(a.sql_handle) b

WHERE 1 = 1
      AND S.program_name NOT LIKE 'SQL Monitor%' /*Filters out anything that SQL Monitor is doing*/
      AND A.command      NOT LIKE'DBCC%TABLE%CHECK%'  /*Filters out SQL Job that runs DBCC CHECKBD */
      AND A.command      NOT LIKE 'BACKUP%DATABASE%'  /*Filters out DB Backup calls*/
      AND A.Status <> 'background'
      AND Datediff(ms, a.start_time, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) > @MetricThreshold