This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Need a history of Annotations once they are gone from the Trends Chart - how, please?

Whenever I add or redefine an Index, I add an Annotation in DPA.  These are really useful markers for the current 30 days.

What happens to them after the 30-days have gone by?

How can I go back further to pull a list of Annotations from my repository?  Instance, date-time, title, description, who, are all I can enter in the dialog, and that's sufficient to answer a "Which indexes were added to which instances, and when?"

Having 30 instances, with multiple product versions deployed, we'll have some indexes deployed to several production instances across the globe, e.g., 5 for one of our multi-national customers, but not to others. 

It would be really helpful if DPA had the characteristic of "the elephant never forgets" (or at least, it doesn't forget Annotations for a year!).

Thanks.

• Hi, thanks for the great question.  In DPA 12.0, when you drill down to a query, you'll see annotations for the entire instance in QPA (Query Performance Analyzer).  In QPA, you can go back as far as you have data.  In the screenshot below, I am looking at the last 90 days and I've hovered over an old annotation and been able to see the details. 

Does this solve your use case, or do you need a way to extract your annotations from DPA?

pastedImage_0.png

• Delayed reply, with apologies.  Yes, I'd seen those tiny dots and hovered over them.  The typical horizon is 30-days in Trends, so the annotations disappear relatively quickly.  Aside from having to play with different charts and horizons, the history of annotations for a server under intense tuning isn't readily available.  Thus, a canned "report" or Journal List of these, for a simple duration, grouped by servers/instances of interest, would be extremely helpful.