cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Memory/CPU

Jump to solution

When I drill down a SQL, I can see some of them has Memory/CPU bar longest. I wonder if we can separate Memory with CPU, each has its own bar, so that we can know if it is a CPU problem or Memory problem, making them together, it is hard to find which really is the problem.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Level 14

To the database, they are one and the same. The request is being executed by the processor which is grabbing the data from cache. That's why we use both resources in the activity name. If you think about it, any process or thread can be in any one of 3 states: running, runnable, or suspended. When we categorize it as memory/cpu, we're saying it's in one of the first 2 states. It's processing or in a processing queue (which can be observed at the OS as load average, signal waits, VM CPU Ready Time type of resource contention). It's really the absence of suspension or waits from a database perspective.

To know if you have pressure because of a resource, start to look at the resource metrics to see if you are memory or CPU constrained (have hit an upper limit, pegged your processors, buffer hit ratio - which can be misleading, signal waits, page life expectancy, etc.).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 12

You may want to vote for these related feature requests:

Level 14

To the database, they are one and the same. The request is being executed by the processor which is grabbing the data from cache. That's why we use both resources in the activity name. If you think about it, any process or thread can be in any one of 3 states: running, runnable, or suspended. When we categorize it as memory/cpu, we're saying it's in one of the first 2 states. It's processing or in a processing queue (which can be observed at the OS as load average, signal waits, VM CPU Ready Time type of resource contention). It's really the absence of suspension or waits from a database perspective.

To know if you have pressure because of a resource, start to look at the resource metrics to see if you are memory or CPU constrained (have hit an upper limit, pegged your processors, buffer hit ratio - which can be misleading, signal waits, page life expectancy, etc.).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos