cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Issue with custom alert

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm trying to create the custom alert that notifies me when the database grows a certain percentage. . The alert is called "Oracle database percent growth" I've already created the oracle database size collector alert. But when i test the growth alert i get the following message  'to_number' is not a recognized built-in function name"    Am i doing something wrong or the SQL broken? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Hello,

Considering you have a SQL Server repository you will need the "DB Growth Alert" found at the URL I've included below. Can you try this and confirm it works for you? If this works I will update the Oracle Growth alert to redirect users with SQL Server repositories. Please don't change your Oracle Database Size Collector alert as that needs to stay the same.

Custom Alert - SQL Server Database Growth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 9

That error looks like you are running the alert against SQL Server rather than Oracle. Can you check that all of the selected database instances for that alert are Oracle instances?

Hi roballen, we only have on monitored instance and it's an oracle server.

0 Kudos

Hello,

Considering you have a SQL Server repository you will need the "DB Growth Alert" found at the URL I've included below. Can you try this and confirm it works for you? If this works I will update the Oracle Growth alert to redirect users with SQL Server repositories. Please don't change your Oracle Database Size Collector alert as that needs to stay the same.

Custom Alert - SQL Server Database Growth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Hello All, looks like both of you were correct. But rokymtman made it clear. Looks like because the query was run against the repository (which is an sql server) and not the database being monitored (Oracle) the oralce query that i was using did not work. Running the SQL query in the link rockymtnman provided did the trick. Thank you both for your help. 

0 Kudos

No problem. I've updated the Oracle Database Growth alert page to reflect this information. Thanks.

0 Kudos

We are looking into getting a SQL Server version of this script working...I'll keep you informed.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos

Sorry, I was wrong...it is not the monitored database that is the problem, it is the repository. Is your repository running on SQL Server?

Also, are you using the query listed in this article? Custom Alert - Oracle Database Percent Growth

If so, it looks to me like that query was written using Oracle specific functions ("to_number").

Rob

0 Kudos