This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

I/O Write Stalls versus I/O Wait by File (Write Tab)

The MS SQL Tips article below talks about "I/O Stalls" in investigating I/O bottlenecks. In DPA Write performance by file there
is also a bar graph Total Wait and I/O Wait By File. Are I/O Wait Stalls the same as the I/O Wait represented in that graph?

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertutorial/254/investigating-io-bottlenecks/

•  

Yes, I consider the terms to be synonymous. DPA is using information from sys.dm_io_virtual_file_stats to display the data, just as Greg mentions in the article. HTH

• In computing, input/output (I/O) is the communication between an information processing system, such as a computer, and the outside world, which could include a human or another information processing system. If you want to create an essay on this forum, use our blog, which has a cheap essay writer service website. Despite the fact that they are legal, some students take advantage of this to defraud or deprive them of excellent papers. Always double-check a writing service's registration status before dismissing it as legitimate or illegal. The term "I/O bound" refers to a situation in which the time it takes to finish a computation is mostly dictated by the time it takes to complete input/output operations.