cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

DPAIM 11.1 or DPA 12.1.696 Issue

Over the weekend we got this message in the DPA business layer log;

2019-04-28 13:02:21,600 [13] ERROR SolarWinds.Orion.Common.SWEventLogging - Service was unable to open new database connection when requested.

SqlException: Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=5; handshake=20014;

Connection string - Data Source=10.220.9.14;Initial Catalog=ITD_VOIP_EHS_SOLARWINDS_NPM;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=ITD_SolarWindsOrion_NPM2;Password=*******;Max Pool Size=1000;Connect Timeout=20;Load Balance Timeout=120;Packet Size=4096;Application Name=SolarWinds.BusinessLayerHost@domain-SolarWinds.DPA.BusinessLayer.dll;Workstation ID=ITD-SOLAR-WAP1

When looking at the system on Orion web console for DPA I had a server down error message and my database(db) wasn't listed.

I checked the DPA server and it was running and my db was listed in the DPA console.

Then I hit the refresh icon on the Orion console for the DPA server and the status became green indicating the server was up.

Still no db on the Orion console.

I then clicked on Configure DB Instances and there was my db listed. When I went back to the Orion Console my db was now listed.

This seems like a false alarm.

Have others seen this behavior and if you did how did you stop it from happening.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 9

amehlman

We had the same issue caused by a network issue.

What we had to do was to drop the DPA Server on the Orion platform and re-add it again.

regards

Level 12

I have not seen anything like what you say here so far in support cases. There are some system settings in the advanced configuration of DPAIM that can be done in Orion. They are changed in the advanced configuration pages that are in a hidden URL of Orions web console. Https://Orion host/orion/admin/advancedconfiguration/global.aspx

on the global tab, of that page there are settings related to DPA such as "ConnectionRetryTimeout". The errors you posted looks like we hit the 5 second time out that I see there.

This is some speculation as I have never changed this value except one time as directed by DPA Development in my time here in support. That being said it would be better if you enter a support case and allow us to review the logs before making changes to these values.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos