This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Create Alert - assign to a group instead of instance?

Dear All

I'm fairly new in the DPA world and therefore it could be that I missed the function I'm looking for.

If I create a new alert ( "Alerts" -> "Manage Alerts" -> "Create Alert" ) I have to assign it to databases instances. This would be a SQL Server instance in my case.

Is there a possibility to assign the alert to a group instead of instances? I'm talking about the "instance groups".

The background is that we would like to manage alerts based on groups. So if we register a new SQL Server instance and add it to a "instance group" then the alert should be automatically assigned without the additional step to edit the alerts and select the SQL instance.

I'm using version 12.0.3074

Thanks for any help.

fabian

• Hi Fabian and welcome to the DPA family!

We do have an alert group functionality, but it is not currently connected to grouping on the home page (does not carry through).

What you can do though is define a group of instances within the alert group tab - it will run the list of alerts you define against the instances you designate as part of that alert group.

When you add a new instance, you can simply go back into the alert groups, add that new monitored target to the group and it will then start running the list of alerts against the newly added instance.

Hope that helps!

pastedImage_0.png

• mandevil  wrote:

When you add a new instance, you can simply go back into the alert groups, add that new monitored target to the group and it will then start running the list of alerts against the newly added instance.

Just some additional information.

When you register a new SQL Server instance through the wizard ( "Options" -> "Register for Monitoring" ... ) there is a step (4 / 5) where you can add the to-be registered instance to existing alert group(s):

pastedImage_3.png

Version: 12.0.3074

regards

fabian