This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Always on Availability Groups Data Points

Hey SQL Server DBAs, I've got some questions that I'm looking for data points on:

• How many primary AGs do you typically run in a given instance? Are we talking 1 or 2 or do you tend to load up primary AGs?
  • Would you rather monitor your AG via the AG listener with the ability to follow in the event of a failover or register all of the instances an AG could run on and get a more complete picture (including any activity on read-only environments)?
  • Would you be OK with additional overhead from duplicate monitoring with the trade-off of being able to follow the primary in the case of a failover?

Thanks in advance! Mandevil

• I have three AGs across three nodes, 1 primary on each
    • Yes, I would rather monitor the listener, although I am not resource constrained today but read-only secondary monitoring might be applicable in the future
    • The last question depends on what the additional overhead really is...would it actually impact performance? If a trace was used for monitoring then no, I would not want that additional overhead. Something agentless that does a quick query would probably be ok